Thursday, March 19, 2009

Vintage Girl...

photo source: Country Home.com
It is no secret that I love all things vintage. I love the notion that beautiful things are there for us, just waiting to be re-discovered and loved again. Dusted off and rescued from the dark recesses of dank basements or cluttered thrift shops, vintage pieces areaknown to shine and pose once given new found respect and attention.


While visiting Value Village (similar to Goodwill) in my mum's hometown, I found myself searching the aisles and shelves for what I guess are among my favourite vintage finds. Vintage aprons are always on my wish list, though I haven't yet properly displayed the ones I have!

I also scan for vintage kitchen implements. Bowls, embossed glassware, Bakelite cutlery, Sunbeam mixers and dishware that I can put to use in my camper always find their way into my cart. I implement a "shop and drop" approach to much of my shopping. I pile what catches my eye into my cart, and do the final decision making while in the check-out lane. My latest trip yielded a retro cooler of sorts in a kitschy floral vinyl that will serve nicely on spring picnics. Fluted white bowls, a child's embroidered apron, and some early Corelle mugs made the cut, too. I found a cute, wooden stool that I will take on camping trips with us, and the grand total came to less than $20...my kind of shopping!

photos above and below: Coastal Living.com

I have also scored big in thrift shops, too. I found a large schoolhouse light shade for a dollar last year, and uncovered my "new" favourite chair in the perfect shade of aqua blue hanging high up on the wall of one of my favourite antiquing spots. For me, it's all about owning a little piece of the past. I worry not about pedigree, purpose or popularity. I buy what I like and what fits the bill for my home. It doesn't have to actually work (like my non-functioning retro phone just like the one below), but it has to add beauty and make me smile. Perfection is not a priority, but the price has to be right. I will save it if I can afford it, and if it appeals to my eyes and makes my heart skip a beat.

What about you? Do you rescue old timers, too??

**************************************

Because you could say I'm "Hooked on Vintage Style", I have joined in Julia's Hooked on Houses weekly blog event. Check out what others are hooked on here!

 
coompax-digital magazine