Monday, July 21, 2008

Matthew Mead...the perfect man to inspire imperfect women... like me.

I don't think Matthew Mead ever sleeps. I have read that Martha Stewart operates on 4-5 hrs of sleep a night, and I think my poor friend Matthew is only getting the other 3-4 hrs that she is skipping! Let's see - by the end of this year alone, Matthew Mead will have produced an upcoming Halloween magazine (sigh), had two books published, styled and produced numerous features and photo shoots for Country Home magazine, fulfilled his obligations as decor columnist for i-village, and totally revamped his website! Of course, there are other professional accomplishments too numerous to mention; and he still has to function as a friend, mentor, boss, family man, you name it!

For those who frequent my blog, it is no secret that I am a huge fan of Matthew Mead's work. In the years that have followed since first noticing his incredible talent, I have gained much respect and admiration for all that he does. He obviously has surrounded himself with a great team, and his level of success is literally bursting at the seams! It is safe to say that you are going to be hearing much more about him, and it won't just be here at my blog. Which has me thinking: is Matthew Mead inching out Martha??

I simply ask the questions. Have we tired of overly complicated (albeit lovely) projects that intimidate us? Are we getting tired of supporting the Martha Stewart brand, knowing that her team is so large that it is getting exceedingly difficult to give her the credit for many of the great ideas cranked out of this "Martha Machine"? Are we ready for a new face to lead us in our creative endeavours? Do we want to support someone who has paid his dues, and is reaching more and more people in a fresh, unassuming way? Are we tired of not feeling like we will ever measure up, and is Matthew Mead the man to make us feel better about ourselves and empowered to "keep at it"...reaffirming the notion that it doesn't have to be complicated?


Matthew Mead and his ideas do not intimidate me. In fact, they inspire me and make me feel that I can pick and choose that which seems do-able to me. I don't need to shear a sheep to get a sweater, and I don't have to go picking chanterelles or fiddle heads from the forest floor. Heck, I don't even have to name my house, make my own marshmallows, or stuff my own pillows with free-range chicken feathers! Nope, I'm sticking with Matthew Mead and even letting the weeds grow in my lawn. Like Matthew, I can embrace the imperfection in life, and tweak it just enough to see the beauty amidst the dandelions.

Check out Matthew Mead's new website, where you can access his archives, enjoy his new blog, and find out more about his upcoming book and magazine. There is also a subscriber's option to his website. For less than the cost of a magazine subscription, you can have unlimited access to the website, and the scores of wonderful ideas and projects Matthew has to offer.
In Matthew's words: "What is really thrilling is my upcoming book on entertaining. I’ve been working on this project for the last two years. ENTERTAINING SIMPLE is the easiest and most fun way to gather friends and family at your home … with fresh and simple ideas and tips for everything from beautiful place settings to delicious homemade foods."



This is a preview of the cover of Matthew's upcoming Halloween magazine, on news stands September 8, 2008. If you were lucky enough to get your hands on his Holiday issue (Christmas 2006), then you know just what a treasure trove of ideas this will be!!
(all photos: Matthew Mead Style)
 
coompax-digital magazine