Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Raining down on me...

Well, we just finished our third straight day of rain, and although we needed it, it chose an inconvenient time to fall. My sister, Wendy, and her family were scheduled to visit from New Brunswick, and were looking forward to the beach, relaxing by the pool, and all the things that go along with warm, sunny weather. We joke that she always brings rain clouds with her, and although she did bring them, we at least had a warm, fairly sunny Sunday (the day she arrived). Feeling the pressure to squeeze it all in, we headed off to the beach and had a great time, actually getting a few uninterrupted moments to catch up and chat in the easy manner sisters do. The kids were happy, and we ended the day with a good supper that I had prepared ahead of time. The dark clouds rolling in didn't deter the kids from playing in the pool, and the adults relaxed and simply life-guarded from a safe distance from the splashing.

Despite the wet weather, we had one of our best visits in a long time, even managing a meal out for the adults only. The kids swam in the rain, and were unbelievably well-behaved, and we were sorry to see our guests pack up and go. We did manage to remember to take our annual "stoop shot", and the kids begrudgingly posed for their sentimental mothers...

We will reunite on our upcoming family camping trip, where I will finally get to crack open the camper and settle in for a few days. In fact, I just picked up a new toaster oven for it for $20, and made up the beds. I will begin planning the meals we will have, and do the necessary food shopping. I think I honestly enjoy the preparation as much as the trip!

Here is a photo I took of my husband and daughter making biscuits on a rainy Saturday morning. My husband makes the most delicious biscuits, and I am yet to taste any better. Lucky for Sophie, he includes her in the effort. Perhaps she will stand a chance at being an accomplished baker, unlike her mum.



This is my youngest son piling his share of the peas we bought at the local Farmer's Market. I love them as much as he, so we agree to split them 50/50. We are very mature...

***************************************************

One of my favourite bloggers, did a late post about her "imperfect project". Well, there is absolutely nothing imperfect about this woman's home, but I'm all for taking people at their word. If you haven't checked her out at Adventures in Renovating A Brooklyn Limestone, then you are definitely missing out. She did a quick chalkboard project on one of her interior doors, and it is a work of art, elaborate stencil and all!!

Also, my funny friend Rechelle@ The Country Doctor's Wife posted the funniest list of rules as relating to public pools. I especially related to the one about the possessive mum and her kid's pails and shovels, sad to say...I certainly don't steal them back from babies, but I do have them labelled with our initials. They are expensive, you know... a dollar each at the Dollar Store!! Can you find yourself in her list? Let me know! I'm also the mum yelling at her boys who are wrestling to the point of near-drowning each other. The little darlings...

 
coompax-digital magazine