Monday, July 7, 2008

Sitting Pretty...



After finally painting my dining table and chairs last summer (from an ugly honey stain to a fresh cream shade), I began the seemingly fruitless search for pretty and unique chair pads. I wrestled with the idea of paying someone to make them, but the cost of paying for foam, fabric, notions, and labour seemed not a whole lot cheaper. Since I'm fairly frugal with regards to some things, I decided to just wait it out and see if I could find something pretty in the stores. Those who know me well, know that patience is not a virtue of mine. But, there is something about keeping to a decorating budget that reins me in when we're talking the larger purchases...

A temporary fix until I found what I wanted...a vintage apron from my collection... as a seat skirt.

I just got back from visiting my family, kids in tow, and had barely a chance to pop in to a home decor store or two. I did get a quick moment to check out Homesense/Winners, and really didn't see anything I wanted or "needed". I think my poor mother was a bit taken aback that I was exercising so much restraint! Considering I usually fill my shopping cart with everything I love in my price range, and then weed through it as I get closer to the checkouts, leaving empty-handed from one of my favourite stores surprised even me! I lamented that perhaps I am done: that I have filled up the lonely crevices of my home and really cannot justify any more purchases. She agreed. She, too, was at a bit of a shopping stalemate and really was on the lookout for only a few bits and bobs to make her feel as though she is finished decorating. Her comment found me nodding in agreement. I knew what I was looking for (the chair pads), but the search had turned up nothing.

We took a quick run into Pier 1, which is not a place I usually visit. I do, however, love their summer stock, so in we went. On my last leg of the tour, I spied these pretty seat cushions. Perfect! Thay have the skirted feature I had been wanting, and the piping makes them seem less factory finished. I had wanted a floral print, and this pattern has a juicy orange shade running through it to offer me up a new accent colour. Their only drawback is that they have so much yellow in the skirt, and I have nary a yellow item in my whole kitchen. A sheer, gauzy skirt would have been ideal, but who knows? Maybe I'll try making some to replace the existing skirts someday. Yeah, someday...

*************************************
I love the mongrammed look, so I used these glittery scrapbooking letters to personalize each chair at my dining table. I love the quirkiness of them, and I don't have to commit or paint!!
 
coompax-digital magazine