Thursday, January 21, 2010

Tell me, tell me true...

Okay....

I have a big favour to ask of you.

And some questions, questions, questions.

You like magazines, right?

Miss your favourites?

A little disappointed with what remains?

Grocery shopping just isn't as much fun, is it?

I think we need to take matters into our own hands.


So here goes: I have made my own little survey, which I would greatly appreciate your taking the time to answer, honestly...with heart. Because I am tired of re-reading my stash of old favourites and I think you are, too. I am, perhaps, more tired of buying magazines that don't deliver what I am hungry for.

What am I hungry for?


Decorating!!
Let's face it. Most of us don't have the budget for fancy pants designers, renovations and shopping adventures. We instead scour local stores and shops, thrift stores, flea markets, and (even) our own homes for new ideas and items to refresh everything...give us a lift. We move furniture around, poke around in our linen closets, fan through paint decks and even look for mis-tints at our local hardware store. We are looking for easy, affordable, "done in a weekend" projects that have maximum oomph. We choose decorating over designing, because that is what is manageable, doable and affordable.

So, we want decorating ideas, don't we? Sure, we get loads of ideas from blogs and websites. But last I checked, you can't tack your computer screen to the wall for inspiration. Managing favourites and remembering where you saw an idea can be a struggle in itself and most of us love poring over a magazine while we curl up on the sofa with a cup of coffee.

Which leads me to the following "market research":
If you would be so kind, please answer the following questions in the comment section of this post:



1. What is your favourite design/decorating magazine (past and present), and why:
a) Better Homes and Gardens
b) House Beautiful/Coastal Living
c) Romantic Homes/Country/Victoria
d) Home Companion (Mary Engelbreit)
e) Country Home/Country Living?Canadian Home and Country
f) Canadian House and Home/Domino/Style at Home

2. Do you prefer a magazine to deliver more crafting or decorating ideas?

3. What do you want from a Christmas magazine/issue: an emphasis on Christmas decorating or projects/crafts? If decorating, what rooms/areas would you like to see addressed? Interior or exterior decorating ideas?

4. Do you feel magazines are providing enough whole home tours and what are you tired of seeing in magazines?

5. Do you want to see ideas for kid's spaces, or should they be kept to more focused books and magazines?

6. When you see crafting projects in a magazine, do you smile appreciatively but roll your eyes (knowing you don't have the time or patience to tackle them), or do you roll up your sleeves and dive in?

7. What magazines do you feel are delivering what they promise, and which ones do you feel fall short? Why?

8. What do you want more of from a magazine??

I can't wait to read your answers. Please answer as many as you feel inspired to address and have time for!

Thank you!!

 
coompax-digital magazine