Friday, January 15, 2010

Full Irish...

(this breakfast is a variation on the original. No soda bread (too lazy to make it) and horrible North American hash brown potatoes. Definitely breaking some rules here!)

Fried potato bread, soda bread, bacon, fried egg, sausage and HP sauce. What does that add up to (beside a heart attack on a plate)? Well, depending on your heritage, it constitutes a proper Irish breakfast, an Ulster Fry, or with a few changes (beans, fried tomato, black pudding, etc.) a full English breakfast.
Washed down by a good cup of tea, of course!

What does it symbolize to me?

A visit to my mum's where I am spoiled by such a breakfast (especially at Christmas time, when everyone in my family makes a good batch of soda and potato bread/farls to have on hand).

Indeed, this Christmas I dusted off my potato bread recipe (a closely guarded recipe from my mum) and made a good batch myself. I haven't made it in years, but when I heard my French-Canadian sister-in-law  was even rolling up her sleeves and making it for my brother, I decided I needed to get back to my Irish roots. I mean, what proper Irish girl grows up without knowing how to make potato and soda bread? It is something that not only my daughter will need to learn, but also my sons.

I have already passed on my love of HP sauce to them. A little bit on a baby spoon was passed by their lips moments after their births to ensure their love of it (kidding!) and it was always offered whenever sausages, bacon or ham was on the menu. HP sauce is gold!

Heritage is important, right?

Behold the making of my personal favourite, Potato bread:

(basically mashed potatoes and flour)


Cut the dough into triangles:

Fry (without oil) on a griddle:


Let cool,
Fry in a frying pan (this time with oil) and serve with above mentioned accompaniments (don't forget the Hp Sauce!!)

Word to the wise: this kind of breakfast is best eaten only on special occasions, unless you throw caution to the wind!

Can you ever imagine why?

********************************

If you're a fan, you can join this Facebook site for fans of the Ulster Fry. Yes, there is a Facebook site for everything, apparently!

 
coompax-digital magazine