Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bought Cheap...cheap bite.

I like to think I am fairly easy to please. From playing scrabble with my good friend on a Friday night to going on a "dump date" with my husband...I'm pretty sure I am not high maintenance!
I have always loved playing board games, but have never run across anyone who shares my passsion. So, I am very glad to say I have recently found a scrabble partner and we steal a chance to play when our daughters have a play date. A cup of coffee and some healthy Scrabble competition...it's all good.
I had a great "date" the other day with my husband. We started with a "dump run" to get rid of the left-overs from tidying up our garage and back yard. On the way in to the "dumping grounds", I spotted a really old baby carriage that I immediately wanted to pile onto the truck. This was the only glitch in our day. My husband has the firm belief that a dump run is meant to unload junk...not bring some home. I, on the other hand, wildly scan the heaps for hidden treasures...and he is never amused by it. We quarrelled back and forth as he unloaded the junk off the back of the truck. We both dug our heels in; and as he was uttering the words, "If you stop to look at that carriage, you'll be pushing it home...", I spied another baby buggy...this one meant for dolls. It was perfect: no smelly fabric like the other one, and made of metal that could be painted a pretty colour for a project I have in mind. As I didn't take too kindly to his threats of abandonment, I think he knew he had better backpedal and butter me up a bit. Soooo, he reluctantly piled the little buggy onto the truck.photo: Baby Goes Vintage
Well, you'd think he just bought me the earth. I was so happy to have that little treasure on board and my mind was spinning with the image of it all prettied up and serving its purpose. Even my yard-saling hating hubby couldn't deny how happy he'd made me, and he simply remarked that he'd make a mental note not to bring me to the dump again...!

After a quick lunch break at McDonalds...his choice...where we sat on the pleather chairs near the gas fireplace (when did McDonalds decor get so trendy?) and ate our chicken wraps, we headed off to our his/her doctor's appointments. My husband, who can't seem to sit still for more than thirty mintes, was content to simply hang out with me...it was a perfect date in my books.

********************************************************************

So, to prove how easy it is to make my husband happy (and to get him to start on my most recent project), I made his all-time favourite meal: my famous meatloaf! This meal is certain to make him putty in my hands! If you, too, have something you want your hubby to do for you, then make this meatloaf - served up hot with mashed potatoes, turnip, carrots, peas, and gravy. He'll be forever at your mercy...at least as long as it takes to digest it anyway! Just as I predicted, after dinner he headed outside to get started on our project...


Here goes...now use this information wisely:


Linda's "putty in your hands" meatloaf:

2lbs ground beef

2 beaten eggs

1 pkg of Club House meatloaf seasoning

1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs

some generous dashes of Worcestershire sauce

1/2 cup milk

one small, chopped onion

Mix all together, dump into a loaf pan,

cook for one hour at 350 degrees... and, hearing my mum's voice, "Don't forget to drain the drippings (fat) off!" Then, sit back and reap the rewards!!

***********************************************************

Hmmm...this little one has to do decidedly less to make her daddy putty in her hands...!!!


 
coompax-digital magazine