Friday, April 11, 2008

A grand entrance...



all photos above: House to Home


While this appears to be a small eating nook, it would also look lovely tucked into a large foyer...
(photo source: Ballard Designs)

I am not one to make a grand entry. Rather, I prefer to slip in; not necessarily unnoticed, but fairly quietly so as not to draw too much attention to myself. Some prefer bolder statements: they like to let others know they have arrived, very comfortable with eyes being drawn to them, and are more than ready to command some attention. Well, that's not me - but I do like the entrance of a home to make a statement!

Case in point: this stunning foyer featured in House Beautiful.
...and I don't know if this is from the same home, but don't you just love the wainscotting?? I also love a black and ivory railing. I have painted mine those colours in my last three houses...

Of course, the gorgeous blue wall colour attracts my eye; but also the lanterns, bench, and transoms (and you know how much I love those!) add up to a top-notch first impression! I have always said that there are two defining criteria that will let me know I have found my dream home - transoms above each door...and this incredible staircase detailing:
photo source: House to Home

Honestly, both are worthy of gushing to me, but I must admit that a couple of years ago, I actually passed up a home with both those pre-requisites! Why you ask? Well... although the house was loaded with charm and featuring my beloved transoms, scrolled detailing on the staircase, and beautiful fireplaces - alas, it was not in a location that would best suit my children. Sigh...Taking the high road, I chose my children's happiness over my fantasy house. How utterly selfless of me, no? We briefly mulled over the idea of purchasing it to renovate and "flip", but I knew in my heart of hearts I would be unable to restore it lovingly and then pass it over to someone else. So, actually, I am fairly selfish. I knew I would end up besotted with the finished product, and I do not need tug of wars going on between my heart and my brain. It's best not to take up too much space in my mind with trivial matters...(yuk, yuk...)

As if you didn't know, my favourite show home is River House, home of Seasons of Cannon Falls. Wouldn't you know that it has virtually all of my dream home features, including this staircase:
Look closely...do you see the detailing??!!

So, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for another gem of a home that can live up to the fantasy house of my dreams. I know that if I can't find one like it to purchase, we'll build one!!

Well, someday...

 
coompax-digital magazine