Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Spring into cleaning...

Well, I've started. I've started, then stopped, then restarted...and abandoned the notion once again. But this time I mean business. I am pledging before you all to stop waiting for spring-like weather to inspire me and I am taking the (dusty) bull by the horns and forging ahead.
A couple of weeks ago, I decided certain jobs could wait no longer. Like cleaning my fridge:my most dreaded job. Well, that's not entirely true, I have loads of tasks that I despise...but cleaning out my fridge lies at the top of the pile of miserable cleaning chores. Either way, I tackled it.
I took the plunge on a day when I realized that there was oodles of empty space in my fridge, and instead of grocery shopping to fill the shelves (which my family would have likely appreciated more), I decided to tackle the sticky milk rings, empty out the onion skins from the crisper and throw out anything with traces of blue-mould on top. One hour later (and I'm not exaggerating), I was finished and the (fridge) door on that task could finally be closed!


Oh...and did I mention I had loads of help? I think he was hoping for some milk to get spilled or something...
I think I'd be more inspired to clean my fridge if it looked like this...

I also think you have to be inspired to clean, and sometimes the method/supplies can do just that. For example, imagine of you had pretty gloves like these: dainty dust cloths like that: and (gasp!) even beautiful laundry soap... to get you in the cleaning mood. You can thank Cath Kidston for these lovely cleaning supplies...leave it to her to come up with something so fitting!!

Of course, after such exertion, you should definitely soothe your calloused hands with a lovely, scented cream such as this:

Also, imagine you have a place for everything...so that everything can be in its place. Don't you love this little cart for shoes and hats? Surely such a pretty landing spot would inspire those husbands and kids of ours to return their things to their rightful place?!

photo: Creme de la Creme interiors

So, in a nut shell, here is my spring cleaning to-do list for the remainder of this week. I got nothing done yesterday, as I had a full day of decorating clients, so I am hopeful for today. The day is stretched out before me and I really have no excuse to not scratch at least one or two things off my list. Of course, I also have to fit in the regular drudgery like washing everyone's bed sheets (since it's spring, I should also do all the duvets and quilts), catch up on regular laundry (and go through the kids closets to weed out that which doesn't fit them), and paint trim (so our house can finally be finished). Oyyy...where exactly does that leave me and my spring cleaning list? Well, since I now have a game plan, perhaps I'll take a little time to review it and revise it (in-between loads of laundry and coats of paint). After all, the snow just left us...! (photo left: Ideal Home Magazine)

photo: Martha Stewart.com

 
coompax-digital magazine