Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Coming out of the (cabinetry) woodwork!

photo: HGTV.com

Well, who knew my post on painted cabinetry would elicit such a creative response? After I finished my most recent post, and included pictures given to me by those of you who share my love of painted cabinetry, even more photos trickled into my mail box! Who am I to keep them to myself? I just had to share them!!

The following photos are courtesy of Laurie at Magpie Ethel . I LOVE her kitchen...that colour (like jadeite), the back splash, counter, and faucet!!

...but most of all, I love her stove!! Sigh...


Oh, and that striped schoolhouse light fixture (from Schoolhouse Electric)...heavenly!!

Sara of Goddess of Four , has a vintage-style unfitted kitchen (very European), with fun red cabinetry and the most gorgeous sink...
...vintage stove...

...and look what she did to her kitchen ceiling!!! Gorgeous!

The following painted cabinetry is from the uber-talented Kijsa ( sister to the equally talented Kari), of Ask Kari and Kijsa ), and Kijsa takes the idea of painted cabinetry to new heights...heights to which I won't be attempting!! According to Kijsa: "I love, love, love painted cabinets (in fact, other than our master bath, all cabinetry is painted in our home.) Part of that is that it was old, and dictated by a previous owner, but we are even purchasing new cabinetry for a bath unfinished, so that it will be painted as well. Such an easy and fun update!!"

Kijsa describes her kitchen this way: "All kitchen cabinets are painted high gloss oil in China white...lots of years of paint make them quite thick!!
"The window seat and upper cabinets on one wall are in red, antiqued to let a bit of olive green glimpse through. Veggies and fruits are on the upper cabinets."


This pretty cabinet is in Kijsa's daughter's bathroom!! Lucky girl!

These cabinets are in Kijsa's laundry room. I think she's trying to make laundry a bit more enjoyable...!
Painted masterpieces!! Did you expect any less from Kijsa??!!

This kitchen was a remodel. Lynn from The Vintage Nest painted her cabinets a warm cream, added glass knobs and her own decorative flourishes.
Lynn wrote to me about the challenges of updating her kitchen: "When we moved into our home nine years ago that kitchen was painted a dirty yellow and the cabinets were a dark brown and the counters and island were butcher block... I spent the entire summer redoing the woodwork, the kitchen and bathroom cabinetry and walls and tearing down ugly wall paper. The previous owner had tried to use a lot of Williamsburg wallpapers and colors and this house is just not a Williamsburg kind of house. I love our now white and black kitchen but must admit the cabinets are not easy to keep clean with the grease and all. Now it's time to have them repainted. Somebody else is going to do it this time around." I love Lynn's range hood cover. It brings to mind what Chris from Just Beachy made for her kitchen...herself!!
Kay from Garden Chic2 sent me these photos of her fresh, pretty, yellow kitchen. I love the addition of the blue island... It just looks like a kitchen one would be happy to wake up to each day!

I hope you have gained some new ideas and inspiration for creating, or transforming, a kitchen with the use of a little paint, creativity and hard work (I won't lie about that part...). Painting your cabinetry and injecting colour into your kitchen is something anyone can do, and is a budget-friendly face lift for any tired (or boring) kitchen! If anyone else has painted cabinetry photos they would like to show us, feel free to add your link with a comment. Happy painting!!

 
coompax-digital magazine