Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Been a long time gone...


A little dab'll do you, or so the saying goes. I am home again after my little jaunt south of the border, and I have nothing but respect for the American buyers working for my favourite stores! My sister's mini-van was positively wheezing - it was so full of loot that we (very happily) acquired on our second annual shopping adventure. It is a journey not for the faint of heart; as it is non-stop action, and we take no prisoners! Having just come off a stretch of insomnia, our overnight stay was no different, and I tossed and turned and awoke with burning eyes and tired feet. Still, the shopping was fantastic, and the company like-minded.

Me and my mum...


I was relaying all the great bargains I encountered to my husband, and he told me a little story he had heard recently. It was about a tourist couple viewing a native American gentleman's hand-made baskets at a roadside stand. They were very impressed with his craftsmanship and attention to detail, but couldn't help notice that he had virtually identical baskets priced very differently. As they queried what accounted for the difference in price, he replied very simply: "Some people want to pay $15 for a basket, and others want to pay $50 for a basket." How utterly true! While I am in the $15 crew, I do know of others who truly feel they are not getting value for their money unless they pay a higher price. Case in point: Target has an incredible line of dolls and doll accessories that are so similar to the American Girl line that it is incredible! I picked up this salon set for Sophie's Canadian Girl, and it was only $12.98, compared to American girl's counterpart at $49.00 for just the salon chair, and another $14.00 for the hair accessories! Last I checked, both are made in China...! I also got the doll table and chairs with a tea set included, all for the grand price of $19.99!!

Here are some more of my treasures, all in pink and white. I adore the Shabby Chic line at Target, and always pick up some of Ms. Ashwell's goodness while there. I had a distinct shopping mission this year...the playhouse...that my husband is, at present, hammering away at. I found quite a few accessories and pieces for the little house, and suffered from a fair bit of teasing about it from my more sensible sister. Oh well... she'll be thanking me when she comes down to visit and our daughters actually leave us be while they play in it!

Some more goodies...

I got the bench at TJ Maxx for a steal, and the quilt was only $20!!

These sweet, little rugs were just $1.99 at Marden's. Guess where they're going?

I returned home to my children and husband, who had been well cared for by my mother-in-law. While I was away, they feasted on lobster, steak and scallops; and although they deny it, likely didn't miss me a bit! My kids did present me with lovely heartfelt cards and crafts and we snuggled up together to watch the finale of Survivor. My sister summed it up best: the best part of going away is returning to your family.
So true...

 
coompax-digital magazine