Thursday, May 15, 2008

Living at the Island...

photo source: www.cottageliving.com
A kitchen without an island is no place to be, apparently. At least that's the impression I get when I talk to any client planning a kitchen reno. A (big) island is always tops on their wish list, and who am I to disagree? In fact, I wanted a kitchen island so badly a few years back, that I requested one for my tenth wedding anniversary. My husband had always planned to make us one, but there always seemed to be something more pressing that required his carpentry skills, that the island always seemed less important. Once I finally got mine, I wondered how I ever lived without it!

Because we hadn't the room for a large island, I designed ours with every desired function in mind. It has two drawers to keep our spices and awkwardly shaped utensils like our nutcracker, lobster tools, tongs, etc. I also incorporated two shelves which hold baskets to store our potatoes and apples. Two lower cupboards with shelves house my bread machine, which is so clunky and big, and all of my party supplies, napkins, seasonal dishes and crock pot. I always wanted it to look like an old-fashioned candy counter, so my husband built it with vintage style in mind. We used old pine lumber for the top, which we salvaged from an old property we used to live on, and while it is too small to realistically sit at it for meals, I love my island for preparing the kids' lunches, and for when we host buffet style meals (which are my trademark).
Would I want a larger island if space permitted? Well, technically, I suppose...but my island was made as a gift for me to mark a special time in my life, and therefore is more than just an island to me. It is another gift from my talented husband, and is a symbol of a mantra that we have lived our entire married lives by: live off your skills and talents where possible and make the most of that which you have. Then, fill in the gaps as you can afford it.
No way will my island become a deserted island...

******************************************************************

Here are some photos of beautiful islands that take pride of place in their respective kitchens:

photo: source unknown

photo: Ballard designs

Technically, this is not actually an island, but who cares? This picture is for those who cannot fit an island into their kitchen. With this pretty set-up, who needs one?!!

photo: Cottage Chic Store

photo above and below: source unknown

The following photos are all from www.countryhome.com



This island is my all-time favourite!!
 
coompax-digital magazine