Saturday, January 1, 2011

Light Up The New Year with Fire and Ice!!

Happy New Year!! We will be outdoors tonight enjoying some fireworks on New Year's Eve. We will be watching them from a dear friend's beautiful outdoor patio. I was trying to come up with a wonderful hostess gift and decided to make some Ice Sculpture Luminaries.
I have always been fascinated by the the combination of Fire and Ice. I love the warm ambiance it creates. Of course they can be made with just water, but I love the rustic feeling the addition of evergreens and pinecones bring. Here is a wonderful how to pictorial I found:
You need two bowls, one much larger than the other. Fill 1/3 of the large bowl with water. Add pinecones and evergreens.
Place the smaller bowl inside the larger bowl
Weight the smaller bowl down with a large rock. Freeze several hours outdoors or in your freezer - it's been so cold that for us outdoors works fine!!
To unmold run warm water over the larger bowl to release ice sculpture. Add a candle and enjoy!
Happy New Year, my friends!! Looking forward to sharing even more wonderful things with you in 2011!!
(photos Southern Living & Bolig)
 
coompax-digital magazine