Sunday, August 10, 2008

Because you asked...and a winner!


It's still raining, and I think I am starting to get mouldy...However, I did manage to deadhead all of my flowers and vacuum my (unused) pool. It seems the best place to be is indoors, and this lack of sunlight is clouding my imagination and creativity. You will likely pay the price for this dullness...

I did receive a few questions about my kitchen and playhouse project, so I decided to simply reply to them in a post.


Here goes:

Q. What is holding up the curtains in your kitchen window?
A. Well, like many of you guessed, they are glass knobs (for cabinetry) that I simply removed the screw from, and glue-gunned to the trim. I'm sooo technical...

Q. What and where is Homesense?

A. Homesense/Winners (you will hear me use the two interchangeably) is the Canadian equivalent of TJ MAXX. It is a treasure trove of great decor finds, for real people like me, who don't want (can't) spend $200 on a pillow, or something crazy like that! I bow down at the gates of this store, and I am lucky enough to be getting one in my home town next spring. Otherwise, I have to head to the nearest city, Halifax to get my fix.

Q. Back to the kitchen: is there much room between my stove and island?

A. In a word, no, but there is enough room to open the oven fully, and still position myself in front of it to peer in the oven window...just.

Q. What is the wall colour in your dining area?

A. The wall colour is Silver Sage, from Restoration Hardware. Of course, you know I didn't get it there...I simply had our local Benjamin Moore dealer look up their equivalent code, and mix me a pint. Then, I went to another (less expensive) paint store, with my pint, and had them colour match it and mix it in a gallon. I did buy a small pot of it at RH when I was there in Toronto, and it is an exact match to the one I had mixed. Except I got my colour for a whole lot less...

More importantly, I love this colour and it is truly a neutral in my home. There are bits of this shade throughout my home... in fabric, bedding, accessories, etc.


Q. Where did you get the robin's eggs in your apothecary jar (on the kitchen window sill)?

A. That's an easy one...at Homesense!!

Q. Will Sophie ever sleep over in her playhouse?

A. While she could certainly sleep on the daybed in comfort, my joints would protest if I had to curl up on the floor next to her...Sleepovers will be pretend only!!

Q. Isn't it time to build your son(s) a tree house?

A. Don't think I haven't thought about it!! However, we don;t have a tree big or strong enough to support one, so they will just have to remember all of the things we did for them when they were little...like pitching a tent in the living room for pretend sleepovers; building them hide-outs under the stairs with a window, door and light;..."letting" them use our sofa to practice for the high-jump competition; and creating their very own huge, permanent dirt pile to play with their big diggers in (and cleaning the resultant mud caked into their rubber boots...). I could feel guilty about Sophie having her very own playhouse, but I don't think I'll bother...

*****************************************************************

Although I am usually the most undeserving recipient of these awards, as I rarely play along, I am trying to pull up my socks on this one, as I truly do appreciate each and every one sent my way..I'm just lazeeee! So, I am sending along thanks to Mary @ At Home Redesigns for this award: Thanks Mary!!!
**************************************************************

Now, better late than never, on to announcing the winner of my "Matthew Mead Style backstage pass":

The winner is...following a random draw by my uninterested son: Chris from Just a Girl !!! Chris, please email me and I will get you set up and part of this inner circle...!
 
coompax-digital magazine