Sunday, August 3, 2008

With a rebel yell...

Well, we're back...early...and a little bit soggy. A "half-glass full" attitude was definitely needed to smile through an entirely rainy, inaugural camping trip! Luckily, I love it that much! Camping, that is...
Luckily, we had great company- my brother and his family - and we all get along famously! So, after settling in and gobbling down a quick, but tasty (pre-planned) supper of pork chops, salad, and curried noodles, I headed over to see my sister-in-law's own "camper makeover".
Now, if I was a good blogger, I would have remembered to take a few photos of the slip covers she stitched up herself. Because I was too excited, and travel weary, I did not. Nevertheless, she did a wonderful job and I will show you them someday...when I actually remember to snap a few photos!
Instead, I will offer up my own new slipcovers, made by my talented and kind friend, Tabitha Coleman. Tabitha is an incredibly gifted seamstress, and her attention to detail and meticulous nature always adds up to high quality creations, and I just happen to be a lucky recipient. Not only did she make slipcovers that are easy to get on and off (using velcro), she gave me covers that have borders in a different, fun fabric.
But wait!! Do you remember the hideous before fabric??

Tssk, tssk...

Now the new slipcovers:

Can you also see the cute "tin" panel that I covered my camper fridge with? It's in the background...

Sooo much better, no? I selected a Sunbrella fabric (striped) for the facings (source: Atlantic Fabrics (local) - $6.99/metre), and a cute gingham fabric with little frogs adorning it for the edges (source: Walmart -$5.99/metre).


Tabitha also made me reversible tiebacks using the two fabrics! Brilliant!!

Although I would have loved to do a kitschy floral fabric with a retro feel, I did take into consideration that I have a whole lot of testosterone raging through my family unit, and I couldn't find anything pretty enough locally (and I really wanted to keep costs down). Either way, I am delighted with the makeover that the new slipcovers have provided my little camper; and it is a brighter, more modern, and inviting place to spend two days wishing for sunshine!!

We always eat well: here is the fixings for some chicken and veggie skewers, which we paired with french bread and yellow beans...oh, and some wine for me!! Just to keep the dreary rain from getting to me!!


A few polka dots and cherries can brighten up any decor!!


Don't you love the buttery yellow enamelware??

Tabitha even made Sophie and me a purse each (above), out of the froggy fabric!!


Despite the rain, everyone was actually in quite good spirits, though not quite as content as me. I grew up NEVER taking a family trip, nor even doing any real day trips, so camping is bliss to me. I figure I will make my memories now, and I drink up the corny traditions that go along with camping: dirty feet, campfires, brushing your teeth in the open air, s'mores, and basically looking like a grubbier version of myself, but happy all the same. No sir, the rain can't keep me down - it could always be worse -we could be in a tent!!!!!
 
coompax-digital magazine