Sunday, August 31, 2008

Falling for fall...



During our trip to Prince Edward Island, I rediscovered my love affair with fall. I wasn't exactly prepared for it, but it came rushing back to me via visions of pumpkins, hay bales and corn stalks. Thrown into the sea of fall inspiration, was the veritable bounty of fresh harvest vegetables - acorn and papaya squash; beets; baby, new potatoes; zucchinis and all things green and delicious. The art of display seems to be a perfected talent amongst the farm stand proprietors we came across on our journey. At each stand, we found something new and tasty to pile into our car, and by the last stop, we were fishing for change in our pockets to buy as much as we could of the fresh vegetables there for the "picking".



I love white pumpkins. No, I mean I really love white pumpkins!! But, they are becoming exceedingly difficult to lay my hands on in our small town. I did manage to pick some up at the local grocery giant last year, but they were small, misshapen, and not as white as I would like. So, when I ran across some at one of the farm stands this past weekend, I bought all of them...for a dollar a piece!! The farm stand owner laughed at my excitement and offered to go pick some more for me, but common sense prevailed, and I happily set off with my perfect, white beauties!

What do you love about the fall? Is it the crisp, cooler weather, or is it the fall colours seen everywhere from the trees, pumpkins, and gourds, to the warm hues in the home decor shops that usher in feelings of coziness, comfort, and nesting? For me, it is the feeling of coming together that fall evokes from me. Gatherings for Thanksgiving, pumpkin carving parties for Halloween, and scrumptious, hearty meals cooked on a lazy Sunday afternoon. It's all good, and as it should be. Fall simply means that feelings of warmth come from within, instead of from the summer sun. Either way, it is hard not to love fall, and all its bounty...


***Tell me what you love best about fall...***
 
coompax-digital magazine