Thursday, August 28, 2008

Happee Anniversary!!

My wedding anniversary has me thinking. What brings couples together? What constitutes a happy marriage, do husbands have to be soulmates, and how did I get so lucky? I love my husband. He is perfect for me, but he's not perfect, nor am I (really!). I don't care who you have, if you say he is perfect, I will not believe you. Just the inherent differences between men and women makes the male counterpart imperfect, right? Does he love to shop for the same things you do? Does he always put the toilet seat down and rinse out the sink after shaving? Will he let you talk, uninterrupted, about babies, kids, your job, friends...all things feminine..? Will he sit and watch HGTV with you? Well, if you have said yes to all of those, maybe he IS perfect!! Who am I to judge...??

We have been married for fifteen years now and we have been through a lot. Multiple moves, three children, serious illness, death of a parent, job changes, business start-ups, life-threatening injury to one of our kids, and the normal hiccups and growing pains that accompany two people who basically grew up together. We met when I was 17 and he was 21 and we knew almost immediately that we would marry. We never had those tumultuous break-ups/make-ups when we were dating; and we have always agreed that if we had to choose one person to do things with, it would be each other. Because of our age and just to be sure, I wanted a long courtship; and five years later we married. We trust each other implicitly and neither of us have ever flinched or gave a moment's pause when the other went out with our friends for an evening out (however infrequent). Yes, we are happy and still look forward to each other coming home at the end of each day. Perfect we are not, but perfect for each other...yes.

taking time to pose with Sophie during a triathlon

We lived in a small town for a while after marrying, and we marvelled at how the "Gossips" would basically take pleasure in the marital problems or breakdowns of others. We are just the opposite. We both love to hear that people are happy, and are genuinely saddened when others are not. I can picture nothing more lovely than seeing an older couple walking hand in hand down the street. You know that they have likely struggled like every other married couple at times; but their love perservered, and I send up a silent prayer that we will be as fortunate.

Marriage takes work...somedays it takes all out stamina, but it is usually worth the battle. No marriage is perfect and I always think of my sister's wise words about judging other couple's "marital state". She said to me, "No one knows what goes on behind closed doors in a marriage. The couple who squabbles a lot may be more secure and happy than the couple who portray perfect bliss." I agree one hundred percent. Relationships are the couple's alone. I wish everyone peace and contentment in their relationships. Perfection is hard to achieve...and I don't really think it exists. I'll take what I have, thank you very much. A husband whom I am proud to stand next to, to parent with, and to have him hold my hand in his. That's all the "marital bliss" I need...

Happy anniversary to us!!!!!!!!




 
coompax-digital magazine