Friday, August 22, 2008

Face lifts are good...

All that rainy weather had an effect on me. Everything seemed a whole lot more dull and ordinary under the cloak of grey. I certainly couldn't spend much time outside, so I was left to stew inside, which only left me looking around and see what could use a little sprucing up.

I love the look of tin backsplashes and ceilings, so after being inspired by Chris at Just Beachy to apply it to my dishwasher for a more vintage look, I headed off to the building supply store and picked up one of my favourite products, faux tin panels. I also picked up the double-sided adhesive tape that is sold with the product (approx. $10/roll) and adhered it to the dishwasher with that. I used about a panel and a half of the "tin". Easy peasy!! Although I had been wanting to start the project for a while, being a bit of a procrastinator, I had simply filed it in my brain... for future reference.

Well, there is no better time than three straight weeks of rain to put a girl in the decorating mode! Forty dollars and virtually zero sweat equity later, and I find myself gazing at my dishwasher in admiration. It takes so little to thrill me these days!

before...


...after!!

After that easy fix, I was on a roll. I had had a roll of pretty wallpaper in my hall closet for what seemed like ages, and was simply waiting for the inspiration as to where to actually put it. I knew I didn't want to re-commit to wallpaper fully, but I was open to adding a bit of it to my home. I have, basically, an open-concept kitchen/living room area, and I have a long wall separating the two. It has always seemed to be calling out for something great, and since I hadn't found this something great, it struck me that a feature wall, using my beloved wallpaper, just might do the trick to warm up the space. This ended up being a great face lift that only cost me $50...not bad for a whole, new look!

before...

...after!

I am still looking for the perfect accessories to add to the wall...but that part is really fun!

Sooo, have a good look around you, and see what needs a little, ahem, tweaking. Now, if only giving myself a makeover was so easy...

 
coompax-digital magazine