Monday, December 15, 2008

My Tribute to...A Christmas Story.

***For those that recognize it, this is indeed a repost. However, my love for this movie is going strong, so I thought I'd take you on a trip "back in time".


In my humble opinion, the very best Christmas movie ever made is "A Christmas Story", the story of little Ralphie who dreams of getting a Red Rider bb gun. I have watched it every year since it came out, and it is a definite family favourite. In fact, I hold special feelings for Ralphie and his younger brother, Randy...as they remind me of my two boys when they were a bit younger. I love their sweet, but spirited mother and their rough around the edges and cussin' father...who eventually softens and comes through in the end for Ralphie with the gift of his dreams. I love it all: little Randy being stuffed into his snowsuit, barely able to walk; the Life Buoy soap episode; the Ovaltine reference; the pink rabbit suit; the BB gun; the nasty bully, Scut Farkus, who eventually gets his due; and of course, my favourite scene of all...the Triple Dog Dare scene where poor Flik gets his tongue stuck to the flagpole in the school yard! I especially love all the kitschy vintage stuff: the overloaded tinsel on the family Christmas tree, the house itself, and the masterpiece of them all, the "Leg Lamp". I honestly can say I love each and every character, scene, and even the Bumpus' crazy dogs!!

So, like everything I set my mind on, I have searched out as much memorabilia for a Christmas tree decorated in homage to my favourite movie...I have bought and received all the tree ornaments I could track down locally, and even retooled some Christmas cards based on the movie into some great picture ornaments for my tree. My next goal is to pick up these figurines of all the characters (which I've seen online) and to get myself some reproduction lights for my little tree, in keeping with the theme. I draw the line at getting the actual leg lamp, as it is for sale at a store in Halifax for the "bargain price" of $299 ...!!! So for now, enjoy the tour of that which I do have and my tribute to the greatest Christmas movie ever made!!
Ralphie all geared up...
The dreaded pink bunny...
Triple Dog Dare...

As close to their vintage stove as I could get...and the leg lamp...

Poor Randy...can't move at all!

Fra-gi-le...and the snowball that started "the Fight"...

This fridge is from Hallmark...notice the holiday turkey...and the little snowman in the freezer...

Don't forget about Santa...

...and last, but not least, Ralphie!!

Well, that's all folks! So, HO...HO...HO... and "Deck the hars wit boughs of rory...fa ra ra ra ra...ra ra ra ra!!! If you have no idea what I'm talking about...watch the movie!!!!!!!

************************

Now, in the spirit of joining in, go and check out the rest of the Christmas posts over at Kimba's.

 
coompax-digital magazine