Monday, December 1, 2008

These things are fun, and fun is good...


“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good” (Dr. Seuss)
Now that December is finally here, and we can legitimately kick-off the season, I am taking the time to remember to include fun into the holiday melting pot. Never really one to bemoan the pace of the season too much, I do try to eke out the fun in the festivities it brings. I am a huge champion of the belief that Christmas is what you make of it. If you strive to have the perfect magazine Christmas, you will place undue stress upon yourself and starve yourself of the true gifts of the season. I decide ahead of time how much I will entertain, and do it only because I wish to, as opposed to because I feel I should. Ditto for gift giving: I keep my list short and meaningful, and have finally resisted that urge to reciprocate for unexpected gifts others might send my way. No, I am not cheap - I offer warm thanks and appreciation, but find the frantic scrambling to retrieve a generic box of chocolates from underneath the bed disingenuous, and take comfort in the notion that the gift giver has unexpectedly gifted me because they wanted to, not because they wanted something from me.

Remember how you felt about Christmas as a child? Do you remember the wonder and excitement that cast its spell over you for the entire month? Perhaps it was the notion that you would be receiving a much longed for toy, or anticipating seeing a favourite cousin, grandparent, or family friend...either way, Christmas was fun, a whole lot of fun!! Having outgrown the need or desire for gifts, my fun stems from the get-togethers with friends and family, the excitement I see in my children, and (of course) holiday decorating! Last week, I cranked up the holiday tunes (Kenny and Dolly, Boney M, and more) and had my kind of fun: transforming my home with some glittery adornments and Christmas charm.
Happily, I also spent the most wonderful weekend with my mum, sister, niece and nephew. Down for their annual holiday trip, we laughed, shopped, sipped bubbly, played SCRABBLE, dined out, and...crafted!! My sister, who is averse to the word craft, even seemed to actually enjoy getting covered in glitter, paint and acquiring a few good burns from the glue-gun....all in the name of FUN!! Her daughter, Ella, proved the crafty gene has survived, and she was in her glory making her own Christmas box.


Sophie...flexing her creative muscles...
my "masterpiece"...

and theirs!


So go on...plan some fun amidst all of the bustle. Make it your gift to yourself. You deserve one, you know you do.
Perhaps a relaxing massage or pedicure a la Marie Antoinette (see top photo)?

*************************

This post is linked to Just a Girl's I Can Make That party.
 
coompax-digital magazine