Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Greetings...


Are you a Christmas card person or not?
Me? I definitely am. In fact, I think it is one of the traditions that I refuse to let go by the wayside in these modern times of e-greetings, Facebook, and general abandonment of mail that you actually post. I have noticed a serious decline in the number of actual cards I have gotten in the mail this year. Now, perhaps nobody likes me, but I think it speaks more to the fact that fewer folks are actually bothering to send any out.
So sad...

(the photo winner)

I do know that taking our annual holiday photo can be stressful, with the boys groaning and scowling at having to go outside/dress up/ smile upon cue. I have taken photos under the tree, by the fire, on our front stoop, but I do seem to be upping the ante and trying to out-do myself each year in getting the perfect pose. Obviously this adds to the boys' irritation, but do I care? In word, no.
You see, I consider these photos my gift to myself. I know my children will be grown and gone someday, and I will no longer spit-shine little (and not so little) faces and photograph them for our holiday cards. I will join the (dwindling) number of people who purchase a boxed set of cards and simply sign their name. This collection of Christmas cards is my photo montage of Christmases past. I can easily see how they have changed each year, and smile at how they cast aside their grumpiness at being photographed and delivered smiles that were worthy of being sent to friends and family. I can laugh at the memories of me yelling at them to stop goofing around, fidgeting, complaining. Because I am honest: I am a bossy photographer. And if you tell me that photographing your kids is all roses and sunshine I will not believe you...especially if two of them are basically teenagers.

After the dust has settled, and the kids have peeled off their holiday finery and have been placated with a few candy canes or two (yes, that still works...), I head off to develop my photos - hoping that they will reflect the fact that these are good children, who eventually come through with a genuine smile for their mother, and who know that cooperating is a gift they can give me that costs nothing.

And it is one that I know will bring tears to my eyes when they have moved on and formed their own families.

...And I dearly hope that they will follow in my footsteps and immortalize their own children's charm in a Christmas card...and send one to me!!

Merry Christmas everyone!!
***************************************************

**If you want to see more great Christmas card ideas, check out Tip Junkie and her holiday card contest finalists.
**To see some of my previous holiday cards go here, and here.


 
coompax-digital magazine