Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmastime's a Comin'...

Christmas is nigh...


And I am as ready as I will ever be. Because, really, all of the little things we do are just extras, right? We don't have to attend every party we are invited to, bake at least five things, get gifts for everyone whose paths we might cross during the week of Christmas, or wrap gifts that look like masterpieces, do we?

I don't know if it is because my children were off for a full week before Christmas or if it's because I choose carefully that which I do to celebrate, but I find Christmas just getting easier somehow. And please don't hate me for saying that...it has just been about choosing what is worth doing and discarding the rest.

Basically, I choose not to try new, complicated (albeit impressive) recipes. I rely on everyday favourites, those which others have shared with me, or those which I know won't see me slaving over a stove for hours. This year, the only thing I baked was a batch of tiny chocolate cupcakes that were supposed to have a ganache-type icing...except I messed it up somehow. (Have I ever told you how much I hate baking?)
So what did I do? I simply dipped the cupcakes in the too-runny icing and sprinkled crushed candy canes on top. Who cares? I have better things to do (basically anything is better than baking!)


(our invitation: sparkling cider with personalized invitation labels found here)

As for our Christmas eve fare, which we share with our closest friends, I stuck with the old adage (but with a twist!): Something old, something new, something borrowed...comfort food!

The old: our annual offering, seafood chowder - chock full of lobster, scallops, salmon, clams and cream.

Something new: meat pies, made from my mum's recipe. easy, hearty, nothing fancy, but delicious all the same.
Something Borrowed: a recipe I haven't made in years, but shared with me by my good friend, Elizabeth, back when the boys were small. Chicken lasagna, made with hollandaise sauce, asparagus tips, mushrooms, and Mozarella cheese. Yum!

Comfort food: good, old-fashioned macaroni and cheese, from Tasha Tudor's cookbook. I am not a cheese lover, but the handyman loves it so this is his specialty (he doesn't put a crumb topping on his).
We (I) also make homemade egg rolls, which get gobbled up by the boys in no time. I rarely deep fry anything, so the good old "chip pan" is resurrected for this recipe. (Here is a great photo tutorial on making your own: Egg Rolls


As for today's celebration, friends will gather, we will eat and "make merry", head off to a candlelight service at our church, and arrive home in time to see Santa drive up and down our street atop a vintage fire-truck. If I remember, I will hide a pickle in our tree (which our eldest ALWAYS finds, which causes big fights), and go to bed too late only to awaken before everyone in anticipation of the kids opening their gifts. Does anyone else do that? I always tiptoe out before everyone else to turn on the tree lights, the Christmas music, and get the video camera ready. I leave our outdoor lights on all night so that Santa can find us and I marvel that no one else does the same! As soon as we begin opening gifts, Jack, our funniest cat, finds a box to curl up in and Ollie, the youngest, will be put out that his spot beneath the tree is no longer available. Other than cooking dinner (which of course is no small feat!), my biggest plans are to have a bubble bath and read a book I have been saving just for this occasion. We wear our comfiest clothes and go nowhere until Boxing Day.

Because aside from the shopping, Christmas can be made simpler. Maybe our family makes it too simple, but to us, it just feels right. 


I wish you and yours a wonderful Christmas. I hope it is all you wish it to be and that contentment alights in your soul.

Merry Christmas!!!
 
coompax-digital magazine