Thursday, December 16, 2010

Snow softly falling...

 When life hands you rain instead of snow at Christmastime , there's only one thing to do. Create a snowy environment on your own. My holiday decor includes many shades of whites and cream and lots and lots of glitter. Glass icicles hang from my tree and I stacked mounds of faux snowballs in my outdoor urns and hung snowflakes and icicles from my porch.

 
But perhaps my favorite snowy finish of all this year is the craft I made with my mum, sister, niece and (of course) Sophie.
 
During our annual crafting session, we focused on crafts the girls could handle making largely on their own. We all share a love of glitter and whimsy so Martha Stewart's snow globe project seemed perfect for us all. I purchased miniature Schleich toy fawns and bleached the colour out of a bag of bottle brush trees, using the tiny ones for our snow globes. The tutorial is here, but basically all you need are some jars, distilled water, some glitter, and glycerin. And of course some tiny treasures to place inside! Sophie and I both used the sweet little fawns, but we have plans to use some more Schleich toys to make more globes. It was fun, easy, and something we have wanted to do for a while.

(the boys helping themselves to a snack while the girls work away)

We also made some other pretties, which I will share later, but here is a pretty wreath project the girls tackled. 


It is from Babiekins magazine, which also features the most adorable Winter Woodland Party, produced by my friend, Debra Norton, of Vintage Paper Parade.

Here is my niece Ella's interpretation of the craft:

Although some accuse me of being "crafty", I really am not. I simply like to do a craft now and again for each of my favourite seasons. Four or five crafts a year hardly qualifies one as a crafter, now does it?

Here is my mum working away:

and my sister:

And here are the other finished snow globes. We think the one with the girl inside looks like she is drowning and pleading to be rescued. Not exactly the effect we were going for:


Just to be sure, mine is on the far left. 
It is okay if you think mine is the best...

Now, get crafting! You will have fun!
I promise...!
 
coompax-digital magazine