Saturday, November 8, 2008

Feather Your Tree...

photo source: Country Living.com

What says vintage Christmas better than a feather tree? Given that they have a very long history, they are more and worthy of the vintage label. In fact, feather trees were actually the first artificial trees. The folks at Feather Trees Co.com explain it best:

Made in Germany to resemble the white pines of the German forestland, feather trees had wider spaces between their branches than what we normally expect of today's Christmas Trees. But that space is what makes them great for showing off ornaments! The earliest Feather Trees in America were brought by German immigrants. Germans loved the celebration of Christmas- they couldn't think of being without a Christmas Tree! Many of the trees from Germany were tabletop trees, easily transported to America along with other holiday traditions. Goose feathers were the feathers of choice for feather trees, and still are today. The feathers were wrapped around stiff wire to become the branches of the trees. These branches were then attached to a wooden rod, the truck of the tree. The trunk was then inserted into a stable base for support. Red berries or candle holders were placed at the ends of the branches. Even in the early days, Feather Trees up to six feet tall could be found.

I bought my very first feather tree about five years ago. It was a traditional green one, and I hung small vintage-inspired cooking implements on it and placed it on the island in my kitchen. I loved its sweet simplicity and it has kept its place of importance ever since. I have continued to add to my collection, and now have a white feather tree and a larger green one.The white one is decorated very simply with glass pears hung from its delicate branches and a single partridge (actually just a pretty, white bird) perched on top, hence its label: A Partridge in a Pear Tree. The larger one sits on the ledge behind my corner sink and is adorned with my much-prized Wendy Addison advent tags...glittered and gorgeous. I do not add lights to any of my feather trees as that would be not only exceedingly difficult, but also weird...
I received a comment from a reader the other day asking me what she should do with her own feather tree: "I'd love to hear your ideas (should you run out of blog subject ideas) for decorating a white feather Christmas tree. I snatched it up at TJ Maxx, not quite sure what I was going to do with it. I'm thinking of putting it in my bedroom, and I could either go with the kinds of pale-pink/aqua/white colors you have in your home, or my usual red/white-eyelet-and-lace color scheme. Should I hang a garland on it? I saw some beautiful tiny fake mercury-glass ornaments at Target - do you think a feather tree would look right with something like that?"
To start, I would have to say thanks for the vote of confidence in asking my opinion! It sounds like you picked up a great find, and one that will be beautiful in your home adorned or not. I think the colour scheme you go with should depend on where you will place it. If your room has a cooler palette and you want a change, then most definitely - go with the first palette you suggested. However, if you wish to use the red and white scheme, then that will look lovely too. I love the idea of hanging tatted lace snowflakes and small, red glass balls. Look for those with a crackled finish, reminiscent of the mercury glass. If you decide to use the actual silvery mercury glass balls, add little else, as their elegance will likely be enough for your little tree. If your feather tree is more like this (below), then the photos demonstrate how less is definitely more when it comes to decorating a feather tree of any kind.


above two feather trees: Elizabethan Christmas.com

Although the tree in the photo below - sitting pretty in its location of my bedroom, last year - is actually a bottle brush tree ($1 from Marden's), it will give you an idea of how a blue, brown and ivory colour scheme might look on your feather tree.

Good luck!!

*************************************************

For a great source for decorations for your feather tree, check this place out: They sell feather trees and the most wonderful ornaments to decorate them with!

This is a wonderful way to showcase your feather tree:


Simply place the base of the tree within the fence!

(above four photos: Home Traditions.com)

 
coompax-digital magazine