Saturday, November 1, 2008

Sweet November...

Sweet November...for those of us who are Canadian, November is a time to sit back, take a quick breather, and recharge our batteries in preparation for the holiday season. Having celebrated our Thanksgiving in October, we can free our homes of the autumn decor if we choose, and enjoy the relative sparseness of our homes. Having already removed all traces of Halloween, I literally felt a sigh wash over me as I saw my home in its unembellished state. The return of the soothing, calm colours made my home seem more clean to me, and the removal of the excess clutter associated with the holiday soothed my overstimulated senses.

Although I am skipping ahead in my mind to Christmas, I vow to not decorate my home for the holidays too early. I pledge this every year, but somehow, our annual Santa Claus parade inspires me to poke around in my many boxes of Christmas decorations...Usually, by then, the frost is consistently in the air, despite the lack of real snow, and all the holiday music and decorations in the stores puts me even further into the holiday mindset. By the time my birthday rolls around in mid-November, I am not craving the serenity of an unadorned home as much. Slowly, ever so slowly, I bring out the snowy decor that seems perfectly acceptable to display before December 1st. My resolve then crumples, and Sophie is yet to have a birthday (Dec.3) where the house is not decked out for Christmas at least to some degree...

So, for now I will enjoy these calm photos that bear no committment to any holiday...and try to quiet the little voice in my head that whispers "Christmas, Christmas" in a slowly rising voice. November is a great month to start a book or read your favourite magazines...

Sleep in on a Saturday or take a long soak...























Enjoy your fireplace...

Get out your boots for those muddy, slushy days...

**All photos: www.landstil.com

Cheers!


 
coompax-digital magazine