Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Halloween Crafting Party...Matthew Mead style!

When Matthew Mead sent me his newest Halloween magazine, a few pages in and I was already planning a Halloween crafting party for my daughter and her friends.  Sophie loves to create, and although I always do a seasonal craft with her, I could always stand do more. When I pull out the craft supplies I also like to keep it simple. Same day Sally is definitely a good moniker for me. There will be no quilts or knitted sweaters in my future...

What I love about Matthew's ideas are that they really are quite simple and utilize supplies and ingredients you can find readily. In fact, for this party, a quick trip to the supermarket and Dollar Store rewarded me with all I needed to get the party started. On Matthew's suggestion, I baked cupcakes for the girls to decorate using some of the fun ideas in his magazine. Living in a fairly small town, I realized finding fondant would be an obstacle to making some of the cute toppers Matthew molds for his cupcake projects. Initially fretting, I could hear Matthew's calming voice in my head reminding me to improvise, which is a tactic he embraces and encourages his readers to practice when need be. So, a quick scan of the junky candy at the Dollar store gleaned some gummy mummies which rested nicely atop the girls' cupcakes. We also attempted to re-create the bats atop them that Matthew made using black squeezable icing (again, couldn't find the recommended black gel!). The icing didn't work so well, although it was done by a little girl - if I had done it, it would have looked way better...I have a real knack for icing!

Here are our improvised gummy mummy versions:

Then I gave the girls some polished black stones ($1/bag), some chalk to write spooky words on them -again, one of Matthew's wonderfully simple ideas -and a black shadow box style frame which we glued plastic spiders and flies into. Again, it was a project straight out of the magazine!


Behold some works of art:



Matthew also embellishes some of the beautiful embossed Petit Ecolier chocolate biscuits. In the magazine, he piped an icing mask onto the young man, but we didn't have the skill to execute such intricate detail. Instead, we completely changed the tactic, with mixed results:

Mine turned out much better (it's always rewarding to compare oneself to eight and nine year olds). I used more junky bone and pumpkin candies to mimic Matthew's more refined icing versions:


The main thing is that the girls had fun, right? On my own initiative, I also made them Halloween necklaces with scrapbooking charms and bought them a trick-or-treating bag to tote their loot home. Thanks to Matthew and his can-do inspiration, I can go carve another "good mother" notch onto the mantel.

Now go buy Matthew's magazine and earn yourself some kudos!
Matthew, are you proud of me?!
 
coompax-digital magazine