Thursday, December 24, 2009

Happy Christmas...and what have you done?



It has been a good year. Every year, as I take down my tree and pack up my ornaments, I send up a little prayer that I, and everyone I love, will be around for the next one (which, I know, is a slightly morbid thing to do). Still, it can be such a season of sadness for some - with the expectation that it should be wonderful and joy-filled - yet losses continue and disappointments occur no matter what the time of year.

A few years ago, a friend asked me to accompany her to a "Longest Night" service at her church - a service of carol singing and worship to support those who are struggling with loss, sadness, loneliness and depression at Christmas. It was very eye-opening and poignant and shed light on the darker side of what is meant to be the merriest of holidays. Every December, I brace for the revealing of sad and distressing stories on the news, throughout my community and sometimes, family. I do what I can from a sharing perspective with organizations like the Salvation Army and food bank. But still, don't we all have a little guilt for being happy when others are struggling?



So, this year my wish is that we all reach out to someone in need - to those struggling financially, emotionally, from loneliness or loss. It's not (and never) too late. Invite someone who is alone or whose family lives away to dinner, visit elderly relatives or bring them to your home to share in the happy noise of the holiday, or call someone you know who is struggling and let them know you care. As mothers, we give so much of our time during the holidays to planning, shopping, cooking, baking, wrapping and entertaining. But as human beings, we can always give a little more to those in need.

I think that is the best Christmas gift of all...

Merry Christmas!!
 
coompax-digital magazine