Thursday, December 17, 2009

A little dab will do you...


Christmas decorating.

I am hearing more and more from people that they are scaling back on their decorating this year, in pursuit of simplicity and/or a dislike of putting everything away after the holidays. I can relate. For some reason this year, I have felt the same tug. Not the simplicity part, but the dread of packing everything back up and restoring order to my basement and garage. For someone who finds clutter stressful, it can be a very "stimulating" time of year!

Still, the tug of nostalgia always rules (that and the desire not to "waste" that which awaits its rescue from boxes) and I always end up going fairly full on with my decorating. I have compromised, though, and have cut back on the number of trees I adorn. So, this year, there is no Rudolph the Movie tree, no miniature sweater tree and a couple of other small trees that have made an appearance in previous years.

I don't know about you, but I have been so disappointed with most of the holiday magazines I have seen this year. I open them with full anticipation, expecting great ideas to jump from the pages, and instead see what I term, "A Minimalist Christmas."

As in, "We wish you a minimalist Christmas" and you just paid $8 to experience it!!
Blecchhh!!!!!!!!

I remember years ago reading the holiday issue of a magazine and the home featured was of a very chic couple (with children) and their tree was a white tree with no decorations, their mantel had a single star-looking decoration (not Christmasy!), a wreath on the door and tea lights displayed on their table to spell NOEL.

That. Was. All.

Cool, ultra modern, clean, uncluttered, monochromatic...all sprung to mind.
But Christmasy? Nope. Didn't get that one.

Now, to each his own, but all I could think was puh-lease!
Be cool and hip the rest of the year and add a Santa somewhere or a treasured holiday drawing to the fridge from your child, sprinkle a bit of glitter, or add some ornaments to that tree...for your child's sake! Christmas is for them, not just you!

So, for those of you not decorating for not-so-noble reasons, the time is now and it will be over before you know it. While the same argument can be given for not decorating, do it for yourself. The glow of a big ol' Christmas tree, the cheer of a dash of red, the smell of pine and cedar, and the sparkle of glitter will make you happier, I promise.

And if you have children, do your best to prevent their sweet little voices having to hum,
"We wish you a minimalist Christmas and a chic, sparse New Year."


(As for me, I think Santa threw up in my house, because there is nothing minimal about it!)



 
coompax-digital magazine