Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Glimpse ahead to Summer...

After a week of gorgeous spring weather, I was inspired to jump ahead to summer and share this post from the summer of 2008. Dream along with me!

*************************************************





Summer pool parties...what could be more fun? Throw in some grilled hotdogs, fruit punch, crunchy potato chips, and a yummy ice cream dessert, and you have all the fixings to ensure your pool party is a hit with the younger crowd! As I did last summer, I hosted an "end of school" pool party for Sophie and a few of her school mates. I vowed to keep it easy and stress-free (for me), and kept the food simple and the guest list small. I had picked up some great party suppplies a while back at a dollar store in a neighbouring community, and the pink flamingo theme inspired me to have another pool party to kick-start summer.


Sophie licking her lips at the thoughts of that first bite...

Using pretty flip-flop invitations (Sophie loves delivering invitations!), we set about planning the party the night before. I thawed some frozen punch and took another trip to the Dollar Store to get the supplies I needed to make these pretty flower pot ice-cream cakes. I saw the idea on The Pioneer Woman's website, and decided to give them a try. If you want the recipe, click on the link and it will take you there. Basically, it involves cutting out poundcake using a circular cookie cutter, placing said pound cake in the bottom of each pot:...spooning in some softened ice-cream (I used French Vanilla), then a couple of gummy worms, some more ice-cream, and...this is the important part...placing a straw down through the layers (centered, of course). Then freeze over night, and in the morning spoon some Oreo cookie crumbs over the top for the "dirt". To finish, trim the straws to "soil" level, place a flower (real or faux) into the straw and voila! Perfect, ice-creamy, easy individual desserts that every child will love!



Love them they did...once I was able to convince then that the dirt wasn't real! So... lots of swimming, junk food, and a pretty dessert is all it takes to plan and execute a great party for little girls!! A good time was had by all!
*************************************************************
 
coompax-digital magazine