Tuesday, March 16, 2010

How Low can I go with No-Sew?

Another March Break re-post...I hope you don't mind!!

**********************************
photo: creme de la creme interiors

My desire to putter about my home, dreaming up new projects and improvements, can lead to the occasional teasing from my friends and they sometimes revert to the old stand-by: dubbing me "Martha" (which, depending on the delivery, may or may not be considered a compliment). I can take a joke, however, and calling me "Martha" is a joke indeed. For the record, I refuse to iron, truly do not enjoy baking, and am most inept at sewing. I do own a sewing machine, but it sits in my lonely craft area, collecting dust. I can sew a straight line with it, but always seem to get the thread tangled up in the machine and end up muttering unpleasantries under my breath. My lack of sewing skills does not deter me, however, when faced with a project, and I instead quietly whip out my glue gun for sewing projects that require only the weakest of bonds...

I have, however, sunk to a new low...

I have been eyeing my porch swing for a while now, with plans to pretty it up. I have had a new seat cushion for it for some time now, but hesitated to use it until I could figure out a way to add a skirt to the seat without resorting to sewing. I also had a pretty watery green and brown toile window valance that I had picked up a while ago at a bed and bath shop, and had not found the ideal spot to hang it. Voila: I decided to use it as the new skirt for my swing! In a stroke of dumb luck, I had also stumbled upon a tension curtain rod in my garage while tidying it recently. It, too, had no intended purpose; so I decided to test my theory that it could be pressed into service as a way to skirt my swing!!



Guess what? It worked!! With the skirt in place, I simply set my new seat cushion on top - thus preventing the potential discomfort of the rod - and added a spare pillow to the mix. Now, I happily have a comfortable and pretty porch swing - again, using things I had lying forlornly around the house!

porch swing: before...

and after!!



 
coompax-digital magazine