Wednesday, March 17, 2010

When I was young and foolish...

Originally posted in February 2009, this post serves as a reminder that I really have gotten wiser with age!!

*************************************
Check out this flower pot cake I made many years ago for a fundraising cake-walk. My boys were not yet in school, so where I found the time or pateince to attempt this, I'll never know. Apparently, I was channelling my inner Martha, or something like that...

I do remember the process of making this masterpiece, however. The daisy petals were flattened, sliced jumbo marshmallows with orange gumdrop centers; the hyacinths were made of (food-coloured) puffed wheat (assembled like Rice Krispy squares), and the tulips were fruit roll-ups wrapped around a marshmallow, and snipped with scissors to mimic the tulips petals. The actual cake was baked in a clay pot, removed, and then iced in clay-coloured icing (tricky getting just the right colour...). I recall the cake being very tipsy, and probably too soft, as the flowers were threatening to topple over and out of the cake. Although I was mighty proud of this creation (proud enough to snap a photo, apparently), I think it sold for a measly $15.00.

Slap!

What an insult!

And I even made a little ladybug out of a red M&M, studded with melted chocolate polka-dots for authenticity!

Some people know nothing.

But I am much wiser now. In fact, I have chocolate chip muffins baking at this moment.

Courtesy of Quaker Oats...

Martha Stewart has indeed left the building...

...or I'm older and wiser!!

*************************************************

Although I was dumb enough to try these.
 
coompax-digital magazine