Wednesday, September 10, 2008

To Junk, or not to junk...


First off, what kind of question is that? Chances are, if you are a regular visitor of my blog, you know I am a big fan of thrift, junk, and repurposing the old but lovely. Junk is no longer a dirty word due to the huge influence of people like The (former) Junk Market ladies (hi Ki!!), and my favourite Canadian junker, Joy @ The Joy of...I am a steadfast and true junker, too!
So, it was with purposeful collecting in mind that I embarked on a junking/antiquing expedition recently with my mother. I pause at the use of the term, antiques, because I am no antiquing expert. I , rather, search for vintage goodness that I can give a good scrub to, or re-purpose "a la Ki", and I certainly give no real attention to pedigree or anything that committed.
Last year, Mum and I set out on a thrifting expedition, and I picked up these treasures: This year was every bit as fruitful! I had started out with a shopping goal: to find new/old treasures to display above my sofa, on my new feature wall. So, with a pocketful of bills and a few toonies, I set out on our annual mother-daughter junking adventure.
First stop was a little grocer-type shop that advertised antiques on an old, wooden sign. We entered to see a delicate, little woman flitting back and forth behind the counter - alternately deep-frying food, scooping ice-cream, and working the till. I am sure there are rules about that, but no one seemed too concerned. Regrettably needing a quick trip to the ladies room, I gingerly nudged open the door of a broom closet/rest room that the lady directed me to... and squeezed my eyes shut as I entered. I opened my eyes and stifled a whoop, as I focused in on a sign above the toilet: IF PAPER DOES NOT GO DOWN TOILET , USE BUCKET TO FLUSH.

My eyes travelled down to the bucket in question, and crossed my fingers that I would not need it! Unfortunately, when antiquing, one must prepare oneself for "antique" toilets!! Duly noted, and I made a mental note to cut back on coffee/liquid consumption on long drives!! I emerged unscathed, and happily began our junking adventure.
Long story short: I found a wonderful variety of junk/antiques at my favourite junking haunt, and we piled our wares into the back of my car, and it groaned under the weight of all of our finds. Someday, I will take you along on the journey via photos, but I was too excited to bring out my camera on this fruitful day!! I will, however, show you my loot:

This little clock is made in Italy, and is marked Rodeo Junior. Do you see the connection??



I love this plate. Who cares if it has a big ol' chip out of it? What chip??



This clock, I am sure, is serious junk to most. I don't care, I just liked it.

Who'd have thought an old brooch stuck into a big spool of cotton could make me so happy?


I had to have this little guy. He just makes me happy inside. It doesn't take much...

Here are all of the above treasures displayed within an old frame I picked up the same day. It started out gold, but it didn't look good with everything else, so it got a lick of paint. ~Sigh~ My feature wall still isn't right, though. I need a big, hefty piece of salvage to hang alone within the wallpapered area. Oh well, this will have to stay until I find just the right thing. I am on the hunt!!



I got about twenty-five of these fantastic chemist's bottles for...twenty dollars!!! I feel like a professional junker now!!! I had coveted the two my sister had in her bathroom, and did my best to bribe her into giving me one...now I have the power!!
Here's a close-up. Won't they be great for Halloween??

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
This photo has absolutely nothing to do with this post, but I had to share how sweet my baby looked cuddled up in my bed this morning. I am so sad that she is growing so fast...

***Now, go check out the I'm a Flea Marketeer party to see some great inspiration from bloggers like you!
 
coompax-digital magazine