Tuesday, October 28, 2008

All trimmed out...

I live in a new house. I love the fact that I don't have to worry about mice, critters, weird bugs...frozen pipes, slow-moving toilets, or drafty doors and windows. My house is efficient, cozy, and very low maintenance. My house is also quite devoid of the charm that comes with older homes...
It seems to be the catch twenty-two of choosing old over new. Sure, we could technically have filled our home with salvaged fireplace mantels, banisters, old doors and more. We could have purchased old door knobs and spent hours returning them to their former glory. We could have laid reclaimed hardwood on my floors, too, I guess. However, the truth of it is that we can't. I/we have neither the funds nor easy access to said materials to do so; and the reality is that after living in a less than ideal rental home while building, just getting in seems like the only goal. So, up go the new (designed to look older) doors, lighting, fittings. We lay pre-finished flooring and are happy to have it. We end up with a home that we are happy to call our own, but loaded with architectural detail it is not.

I have long pined for wall panelling/wainscoting/bead board, etc. My doors are trimmed out in a trim style I love (Boston headers), and we don't scrimp and install the cheaper, flimsier version that most contractors use. Still, I dreamed of the flat panel detailing that my dining area and front entry was calling out for (you know what I mean...). Enter my Prince Charming, who casually announced two weeks ago that he would begin the project the very next day. Now, I admire those women who can do such projects themselves with ease. But, if I am to be honest, I don't think I am cut out for it. I am clumsy, accident prone, and like things done yesterday. Definitely not the attributes of a successful carpenter.

Happily, my hard-working husband laboured away installing the detailing, and had it ready for painting after only one day of construction! I dutifully picked up my trusty paintbrush, and after three days of painting, declared the project finished!

Next up is some crown-moulding in the living room, bead board in the mudroom, and something even better in the bathroom (although I have yet to decide what). New home or not, we will work at giving it detail and character, and our kids will do their part by chipping away at its newness by scuffing up walls, denting the hardwood, and dinging the trim work.
It's a family affair...!!
****************************

Another example of my husband's work to add vintage character to our home:


Lovely examples of great details anyone (with a bit of skill and a few tools) can add:
(Note, the following are not photos of my home)

(top photo: source unknown)

Middle and bottom photo: Country Home.com

(Photo below: House to Home.com)

 
coompax-digital magazine