Sunday, October 19, 2008

Rose-coloured glasses...

Shades of soft, washed-out blue; sand; driftwood; and watery greens- these are the colours of my home. It is a colour scheme that was unintentional - it just happened - as a result of a quiet yearning for cool, fresh colour after living with warm, sunny yellows for many years. I was previously scared of blue, fearful that my home would end up resembling a baby boy's nursery. As far as I can tell, that hasn't happened... but it doesn't mean that I don't still yearn for more decisive colour.

Somedays, I think I would like to wipe the slate clean and start over with a colourful, new palette. Of course, this would be entirely wasteful and unnecessary, and I would never actually do it (nor could afford to), but it would still be incredibly fun! I could give in to the "calls of the wild", and let myself gravitate to the bolder hued furniture and trimmings when in the shops. Instead of calm shades, I could buy the cheery, cheeky, bright fabrics and stroke colour all over my furniture and walls. I imagine that such an environment would leave me more energized, emboldened, and up the tempo of my home.


Screech...!!! Would this be the case? Would a major shot of colour send the atmosphere of my home into a constant state of energy? Because that sends me back to last Halloween, when the infusion of so much black and orange had me jumpy and agitated...that feeling of holiday mayhem that is okay for a while, but then overnight becomes dizzying and tiring. In fact, I can remember the feeling of calm that washed over me on November 1st, after I had removed all traces of Halloween and its excitement.

No, I guess I'll leave the colourful life to those of you who can stand the heat: who move at a faster pace deep within, and thrive on the shot in the arm that juicy colour provides. I'll stay "here on the beach" cooling my heels amidst watery shades of calm, and get my burst of colour during the holidays. Maybe someday but, for now, I'm perfectly content with cool...!!

**all photos above: Country Living.com**


photo source: unknown

************************************************************************

Don't forget to check out Ki's Junk Revolution pumpkin decorating contest (see here), and link the photos of your junked-up pumpkins to the list of entries. The prizes are very generous, and it takes only a minute to create one. Join in to win great gift certificates that you can use for yourself or as a great Christmas gift for someone special. Contest closes October 31st!!!

 
coompax-digital magazine