Friday, October 10, 2008

The Profiler...


(Skippy...the one who started it all!)

Silhouettes...I seem to be seeing them everywhere lately. I guess that's what happens when something is so good. It gets noticed.

I have had a love affair with silhouettes for years, but have had extreme difficulty finding any authentic (read, old) ones, except for my beloved Skippy. I remember a few Christmases back, I saw in a holiday magazine (I think it was Matthew's Holiday issue...I swear that is a coincidence!) the most adorable silhouette cookie cutters that are made to order in your loved one's image. Problem was, I think they were $30 or more each!! That's a cookie you could choke on, no?

Anyway, It got me thinking that perhaps I could find someone to do silhouettes of my children to frame for my walls. For some reason, it never occurred that I could make them myself, despite having made some a couple of years ago for Halloween:

Well, all this silhouette exposure inspired me. You know I like to make things for next to nothing, so that is what I set out to do. I picked up some great oval frames at Walmart for $7.99 each. Although they had a mahogany finish to the edges, I simple brushed some black paint over them, rather haphazardly, and they turned out quite perfect. I then sat every member of my reluctant crew down in a chair one evening (which was an oh so annoying photo shoot) and the best part was they could pose as is: jammies, workout gear, and for me, no make-up!! Now, those photos were no beauties as is - but cut out in black card stock as a silhouette -well, we all look quite dapper... if I do say so myself!


Today my downright adorable husband (I speak of him like that when he is agreeable to my ideas...) climbed up high on a ladder to hang them in our stair well and they are now among the first things you see when you enter my home. I can't help myself: they make me smile and chuff up with pride when I look at them. This family of mine...who knew a profile of us not looking our best would make me so happy...???

youngest to oldest (Daddy)

Not bad, huh??

 
coompax-digital magazine