Tuesday, October 7, 2008

May the bubble never burst...

May the bubble never burst...every time I utter those words, I laugh aloud. The first time I heard the phrase was on a shopping trip with a good friend. It had been a particularly good day, with many great "deals", and we were marvelling at our luck. Then, my friend happily sang out those words. Apparently, it is a "warning" phrase her mother extols whenever she feels her daughter might be enjoying her shopping a little too much!! My own mother simply says, "Occhh, you don't need that, Linda", and it also effectively bursts my bubble...

My own children have been living in their own bubble lately, and the pressure is on me to maintain it! I have been on a baking "kick" lately, and those who have followed this blog for a while know I am not an avid baker, nor do I enjoy doing it all that much. However, with all I have been reading about the dangers lurking in our foods, I have been taking a more active role in ensuring that my kids don't ingest too many chemical preservatives, food borne illnesses, or "food container poisoning". That means home made breads and sweets, no cold-cuts (we've had a Listeriosis scare in Canada) or nitrate-filled sandwich meats, and switching over to stainless-steel water bottles and using dishware to heat up our food in. Pheww...so much to remember! BPA-free, no Teflon, no saran wrap in the micro-wave, and more!! The pressures of so-called "good mothering"!!


Anyway, here is the bounty I baked up yesterday: biscuits, muffins for their lunches, and home made bread. I know many of you truly enjoy baking, and it is a definite gift you can give to your family. But I was raised on packaged cookies and white bread, so I don't come by this naturally. My mum was/is a wonderful meal maker, but did not enjoy baking either! My new found guilt is driving me into the kitchen more, and I am starting to feel like Ma Ingalls...not that there is anything wrong with that...!!


So I persevere and, as I look at my children, think,
"May this bubble never burst!!"

Hopefully my guilt will see me through!!
******************************************
Don't forget to take part in my latest give-away. See the details in Monday's post!!
 
coompax-digital magazine