Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Every Rose has its Thorns...

So, you want some answers...?

Well, as promised, I will reveal where I got my beloved, blue bookcase.


But not yet.

First, I have to show you them (yes, I got two!) in my living room. Aren't they beeuutifulll???

Most of you guessed wrong (although you know me well...you guessed right on my having bought it for a bargain!), and I am surprised that more of you didn't recognize them from a very common, popular bargain shop. Where are all my fellow bargain hunters??
For the grand total of $60, I got, not one, but two gorgeous bookcases!! I have placed them on each side of my fireplace, and have yet to properly deck them out with accessories. I will play around until I find just the right pieces, but you get the picture...
Thank you Christmas Tree Shop!!!!

(I am now predicting a mass of you will head out and get yourself one!!)

Love a bargain?
Yes. Yes, I do...
***********************************


Now, on to the questions about the little house we renovated:



Q. What colour did you use in the master bedroom?

A. I used my all-time favourite colour, Silver Sage, by Restoration Hardware. Except you just know I didn't splash out for RH paint, don't you? If you want to read how I get fancy paint colours on a dime, go here(scroll down to the fourth question). If you want some more of my painting tips, read this.

Q. What colour is the smallest bedroom?
A. This room is the same colour I used in Sophie's room:



Benjamin Moore's Icy Moon Drops: 2056-70


Q. Did you rip up the tile floors (in the before photo, above) to replace them with wood?

A. Yep, or at least my husband did! They were cracked in a couple of spots and also felt dirty, so he installed laminate. They are so much nicer, now!

Q. What colour is the paint you used in the mudroom/the stairway landing?

A. The paint above the beadboard in the mudroom, the front entry and stairway/landing, and the bathroom are all Benjamin Moore's Natural Linen CC-90.

Q. Where did you get the pendant lights in the kitchen?

A. The above light was purchased at Ikea (it is called the Ottava), and was $30. The little spotlight was purchased at Kent (a Canadian building supply store) and was ~ $35. It also has a nautical look to it.

Q.
Is the chalk board something you bought?

A. No. I painted the chalk board paint directly onto the door, and my husband framed it in. It is the easiest, most economical way to get yourself a chalkboard.


Q.
What kind of paint did you use to paint the black stairs?

A. I used oil based semi-gloss paint, and it was a bugger to get off my hands!!

****************************

Q. How did you do the numbers?
A. The numbers are the super cheap/super easy address numbers you buy for your house. They are vinyl, and cost 55 cents each. They are so easy to work with, and can be removed if the buyer isn't into that sort of thing...can you imagine?!

And finally, where did I come up with the title for this post?
When we began the renovation process, not only was the little house very dirty, but it also housed some serious irony. This rose hung in the window of the (now) laundry area, and for some reason we didn't take it down until the very end. Many times I'd go to remove it, but it soon became a symbol of the little house itself: old, crusty, no longer loved, and in need of some resurrecting. So, we worked our magic; and when I finally tackled cleaning that window, I tossed that faded rose out. That's right: I did not keep it...I'm not that sentimental!
 
coompax-digital magazine