Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Bringing Pretty back...in a different way.

As a big fan of America's Next Top Model (it makes me feel smart, and matronly), I settle in each Wednesday evening - glass(es) of wine in hand - and engage in pageant style critiquing and soothe my senses with the show's perfect blend of fashion and brain candy. I perked up immediately, however, during the "go-see" episode when I saw beautiful gauzy gowns waft by as the contestants strutted their stuff.

Ruffles. Voluminous layers. Pale pink and white.

I was suddenly paying serious attention...
The designer in question, Cris Barros, is my new fashion design hero. I know nothing of her, but I have to like her. She somehow has survived the silly need to create uber-cool, but infinitely unwearable couture for her fashion shows (found here at her website, and here). Beyond pretty herself (see above), she knows that pretty is good, real good, and her designs are flying off the shelves in Brazil and internationally. Having switched out my magazine obsession from fashion to parenting to interior design and decorating, I am out of the fashion loop...big time. Still, Cris Barros has unwittingly comforted me with the notion that pretty will always be in fashion. Now, if only I were rich and thin and could get to Brazil!
Because I am neither, I did a little searching for some dresses that appeal to me in a similar way. My brother is getting married this summer so I am on the hunt for a pretty, but unfussy dress to wear to it. The bride is German, and will be wearing a dirndl, so white is actually an option, as long as it isn't too bridal. I am thinking fresh, pretty and some seriously SJP/Carrie Bradshaw shoes:
(shoes, Christian Louboutin)




(yellow shoes: Oscar de la Renta).

I would have to change out those heels, though. My wine doesn't require a corkscrew...

In case you noticed, most of these items are big-ticket designer labels, so I am on a mission to find a beautiful dress and shoes in my price range...Payless anyone?? The Gap? Old Navy?

As for dresses, this is what I have found thus far:


1.

(dress, by Elyna.)

Skip the tights, of course!

2.

(dress: Roksanda Ilincic)


3.
(dress: Marc Jacobs)


4.


(black dress by: Jodi Arnold)


I love the ruffles on this one, though it might get me kicked out... :




(dress: J. Crew)


Seeing as I love beachy style, my eyes were drawn to this one. It kind of reflects where I live, coastal Nova Scotia. It is a strong contender. Fashion forward, yet traditional...



Hah!

Whether you were recoiling in horror at my bad taste, or laughing - knowing my penchant for irony - separates those who are new here and those who know me well.


Were you worried?

 
coompax-digital magazine