Saturday, June 21, 2008

The all work and no Playhouse...

No...this is not Sophie's playhouse. But it is pretty, isn't it?!

I never met a home improvement project I didn't like. Well, okay...that's a bit of a stretch, of course, but I do love having a project on the go. Saturday was a good day...a fruitful day from an accomplishment point of view. You see, work continues on "The Money Pit", aka Sophie's playhouse. It had been at a bit of a standstill as we picked ourselves up and dusted ourselves off from a few back to back hits to the money belt. In the course of two weeks, we had to fork over a lot of money to repair our damaged garage door (my husband's doing...pheww!), his truck's broken windshield, and our one-year old pool pump breaking. We have definitely been having a string of bad luck from a breakage point of view, but we take it in stride seeing that no bones are broken, and everything is fixable. Still, major repairs and the costs they incur still hurt and set us back considerably...

So, after a construction lull, we are back at it: building what we can with the lumber we have on hand, painting the interior of the little playhouse, and trying to finish the inside for her, so she can finally play in her long-promised little cottage. Being the world's sloppiest painter, I usually have a little more wastage than the average shmuck; so, off to the paint store I go today to get more. I have about 60% of it painted, so today should find the job completed. My husband made the most adorable counter area for her little kitchen...greatly exceeding my expectations for it!! I am so thankful for his carpentry skills; and his desire to do things right makes for a well-built project each and every time. I also lucked out and got a used crib mattress for the day bed he built for it. I picked up pretty bedding for the bed when I visited Bangor last month, so we are almost there... for the interior anyway. Next weekend will see the cladding of the exterior with clapboards (and, thus, more painting for me), and then we will add the window boxes that Sophie planted a while back, and the other accessories for the exterior.

I will show you photos as soon as it is complete and I look forward to seeing our little girl playing house and hosting her little friends. Perhaps a little house-warming tea party will be in order? She can invite me and her daddy. After all, we deserve to get a little "return on investment"!! We've sacrificed enough Saturdays to even warrant a cookie!!
 
coompax-digital magazine