Monday, June 23, 2008

Oh happy day!!



Monday was a good day.



A very good day...


And not for any big reason. Just a whole lot of little ones.


It is hot. Finally! which means one thing: my pool is finally going to heat up a bit!! We do not have a pool heater (too expensive), and I do not have it in me to wrestle with a solar blanket at the end of the day. So, heat is good.


I went to Halifax. Halifax is our nearest big city. Not only did I get to go, but I went with one of my dearest friends, who makes me laugh out loud more than I can count. A comfy ride, good laughs, a perfect cup of coffee, and life is good.

We shopped. Not a lot, mind you, but enough to put the life back in me and give me that dose of kryptonite that only a good day's shopping can bring!!


Bargains aplenty...$10 bathing suits for Sophie at Old Navy (when you have a pool and a little girl, you need a lot of bathing suits!). I also got a few little things for the money pit/play house. I found the most adorable birdhouse that looks old and quirky and it made my heart sing when I laid eyes on it!


My kids. I especially enjoyed them today. The main reason for going to Halifax was to keep an extra eye on my son while he swam during his class trip. Water slides and deep water require a mother's extra attention. Later, he told me he was glad I came...not embarrassed like some of the other kids whose mums were also there.


Girl time. Sophie and I went with a good friend and her daughters to see the graduating high school kids in their prom attire. They call it the "Grand March", and it was so much fun to see all the beautiful dresses and kids. It brought back memories of my own prom. I hope those kids enjoy the lives that are stretched out in front of them. If they only knew how quickly time will pass. On a funny note, I was surprised at how little the dresses have changed since my own graduation! Indeed. my 20 year high-school reunion is coming up this summer. I am not going. Strangely enough, as sentimental as I am, I don't look back. Reunions mean very little to me...
Our air conditioner. My over-worked hubby was making noises about not being able to get around to installing it until the weekend. Well, that wouldn't do. Everyone knows I am as unbearable as the heat when I get too hot. I don't like to sweat. Period. It's gross. So, like any impatient woman would do, I wrestled that 4oo lb (or so it seemed) air conditioner into the window myself! Well, that's a bit of a lie, of course. At the last moment, before I dropped the stupid/wonderful thing on the floor, my husband swept in and saved the day, my back, and the floor! Men...who needs them!?!


Ice cream and McDonald french fries. Yep, I ate both today. My shopping trips don't typically allow much time for leisurely lunches. Hot summer nights watching pretty,young, thin girls parade by you in beautiful dresses leads to deep sighs of self-pity; and ice cream seems like an ironic, yet somehow fitting, remedy. Which brings me to the end of all the goodness. I guess I had better run a good distance tomorrow. As if that will make any difference...!
 
coompax-digital magazine