Monday, June 9, 2008

No pain, no gain...

As I sit and write this, I am seeing squares in my mind. Actually, 384 of them, and 1536 corners to be exact. I am also reminded of the joy of painting this many squares (and corners) by the dull ache in my back, the creak in my hips as I rise from my chair, and the blister on my index finger (from pressing a can of spray paint for way too many minutes). However, no pain no gain, and I'll do just about anything to get a project finished when I set my mind to it.

Here is the source of my labour: ...the new trellis that my husband built for our front porch to afford us a little privacy when we're sipping our tea each night after dinner. Because our neighbour's home is within spitting distance from us, we figured we (and they) could use a little buffer zone when coming and going from our respective entrances. Luckily, they are the best of neighbours; but a good trellis also gives us a spot to grow a fruit-bearing kiwi vine. My hard-working husband also built me planters which I have had envisioned since moving in. He built them in a lovely raised panel effect/illusion, and they are the perfect spot in which to grow my beloved daisies. Since I had my paintbrush and can out, I swathed them in a creamy paint, too.

Now, 0ur porch feels cozier, more secluded, and truly looks like it is as it should be. It was a busy weekend...many projects, barbequed meals, and wheelbarrow loads of soil and mulch pushed around the yard. But...when we finally sank into the cushions of our porch swing, glasses of wine in hand, and our kids playing before us, the fruits of our labour filled us up with contentedness. Doing it ourselves is soooo rewarding!!


***********************************************************************

We didn't just work all weekend...here are some candid shots of "the family" as we went about our weekend.

a perfect day for the sprinkler!
Sophie's crazy garden party hat...worn to a little friend's birthday party.


A quick makeover for Sophie's little wicker chair:

before...
and after:

a "sweet" skateboarding jump!!
and for the finishing touch: a few flowers added to our planters!!
 
coompax-digital magazine