Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sweeping it under the rug!!


I am in cleaning mode again. I have a certain visitor coming and certain visitors make me look at my home and its state of cleanliness with a rather large magnifying glass. Who is this visitor??Well, although you might be thinking it's my mother or mother-in-law (whose trips also get me dusting baseboards and cleaning out my fridge), it is not. My rather discerning visitor is my much loved, eldest brother...and his sweet family.


...aren't they a handsome bunch??
My sister-in-law is one lucky woman. Now, I am definitely not saying my brother is perfect, no sirree...but he is definitely a bit of a neatnik. In fact, both he and I inherited this disorder (and yes, it really is a disorder) from our ever-tidying mother. We both despise mess, and crumbs under our feet send us lunging for a broom. In fact, my brother is the only male who willingly helps tidy up after big family meals, while all the other "lay-about" brothers and husbands skulk into the living room to rest, burp, and engage in "man-talk". Oh, they're a crafty bunch, that crew. But that's a whole other story...




So as not to come across as messy or cluttered, I have been dusting, vacuuming, washing duvets, shower curtains, and the like...all for my tidy, astute brother. Oh, and I would be remiss to not mention that my sister-in-law is also a very tidy girl, herself! In fact, I think that when they leave, my house is tidier than when they arrived!!


Thus, tomorrow will find me washing my slipcovers, mowing the lawn, and cleaning out my fridge (because one of my children must have tipped over a jar of beets and not told me...lovely!!). Of course, they are all chores that need doing; and I secretly enjoy the kick in the pants that visitors unknowingly give me to get done what needs doing! Who knows, maybe my beloved brother's good habits will somehow rub off on my husband and make him even a tiny bit more tidy. A girl can dream...!!


***************************************


Oh, and I figure I need to add the following disclaimer: I have three other brothers who I also adore and who have many wonderful attributes...but tidy, they are not!!


This photo shows my brothers many moons ago...They were a muscular crew!!


photo: courtesy of my sister

 
coompax-digital magazine