Saturday, June 28, 2008

Designing Woman?

Well, I think I've just heard it all. I opened up my Saturday newspaper to the lifestyles section and saw the latest celebrity indulgence announced: Cindy Crawford has just brought her furniture line to Canada via The Brick. Now, perhaps I have been under a rock, but Cindy Crawford is a furniture designer?? Blecch!! Sure, she is beautiful, a great model, and a savvy business woman (with her own skin care line and exercise videos, among other endeavours), but come on...she suddenly knows enough to design furniture?? I think not. I was okay with her attaching her name to a variety of child related accessories and furniture, because she obviously has experience as a mother (she actually really gained my admiration after birthing both her chidren at home). But this endeavour leaves me cold.

Cindy's kid's furniture line...


Why don't we just call it as it is. Cindy obviously has a team of real furniture designers and thus we should refrain from deeming her an actual furniture designer. Apparently, she "plays an active role in suggesting and approving designs". According to Cindy, taking the leap from model to designer was, "...not a natural jump. Obviously everybody has a home and I've always spent time decorating mine -- especially when you travel a lot, your home is really your refuge. And a couple of my homes had been photographed for Architectural Digest over the years," she explains. Yeah, yeah...and there was no interior designer behind those homes?
I know I sound cranky, but I am growing weary of overpaid and over-valued celebrities being paid exhorbitant amounts of money to lend their name to everyday products. Sure, it is the nature of the beast; but aren't we getting tired of lining these people's pockets, when they are largely just figure heads? Isn't it enough that we pay to go see their movies or purchase the magazines they are featured in? Honestly, there is a difference between Martha Stewart developing a furniture line and Cindy Crawford. In my opinion, this reeks of the Kathie Lee Gifford clothing debacle of the nineties... What is your take on celebrities being dubbed "Jacks of all trades"?? Does their endorsement "up" the desirability level in your eyes of certain products??
 
coompax-digital magazine