Thursday, June 12, 2008

Growing pains...

Summer 2007

Today was a busy, good day. The focus of this past week has definitely been my kids. Now, of course they are always my focus, but this being their second last week of school has meant that there is an extra emphasis on things to do and remember for their sakes. My youngest son has been involved with track and field events so, naturally, it is important to have a parent or two to watch him compete and take the token pictures. You know the kind - blurry/taken just after he completes the action/grimacing child smoldering with embarrassment that I would actually dare bring my camera along - you all know what I mean!!
My daughter has been loving her class' alphabet countdown which has focused on a marine theme. Lots of fun for her, but it has meant my tracking down a red bucket, frisbee, starfish, kite...you name it! The other day, she casually announced that she "needed" to bring in a Queen conch shell... just as I was coralling her into the bathroom to brush her teeth before leaving for school! I don't think so, missy!! Friday is her trip to the beach day and naturally it is calling for rain. As I have volunteered to go with her class, I was secretly hoping for a rain date. No luck: she simply stated that they are to wear their raincoats! I should be extra pretty after spending the day in the salty air and rain!! I'm sure there won't be a bit of frizz in my naturally curly hair...not that it is about me, of course!!

So, after two weeks of track and field events, class trips, and a spring formal dance for my eldest, I am actually looking forward to the end of school, the end of schedules, and the end of packing lunches. Well, that is until the squabbling begins, the complaints of boredom start, and the lack of time to think uninterrupted drives me to despair. They are essentially the growing pains of summer...they must be met head on; but when the breaking-in period is over, the ride can be lovely indeed... let the summer begin!!
 
coompax-digital magazine