Monday, June 16, 2008

We's walking like we was ridin' a hoss...!!!

Our youngest son and us, ready to run!! He placed 29th out of 190 students!! Not bad for not training!!

Well, yesterday I achieved a goal I had set for myself last Father's Day. It was a goal made as I watched both my husband and youngest son run their respective events in the local running event held in our town each year. I had always been one of the "freezie girls", passing out the cold treats to the runners, but a spark ignited in me last year as I watched my son race past me with ease. Strangely, I have had a recurring dream for years now that I am running easily in the fresh air, and in my dream it felt so good. Every now and then, while on a walk (after taking a quick glance around to ensure no one could see me), I'd attempt to run a short distance. I would repeatedly discover that running was neither easy nor did it feel good!!

Still, I aspired to it; and I found the most wonderful running partner in my friend, Meredith. I nabbed her at a gathering in February at our mutual friend's house, and excitedly discovered that she, too, had a strong desire to start running. I knew she would be the perfect running partner: steadfast, committed, no-nonsense and, indeed, we both found ourselves doggedly running through frigid temperatures, rain, chest infections/colds, injuries (more mine than hers), and even muggy, hot weather. We followed the online running program "From the couch to 5k" (http://www.c25k.com/ ), and it proved to be quite a manageable training program that slowly built up our endurance and speed. I seemed to be plagued by a steady stream of injuries (torn calf muscle, shin splint, sore joints) and at times they really gave a beating to both my confidence and self-image. I often felt embarrassed that running "just a 5K" should be so difficult for me, and around "real runners" I felt like an imposter. I was simply running to prove to myself that I could do it, and as a way to improve my cardiovascular health. Indeed, I kept the fact that I was training for the event secret for as long as I could...mostly because I was afraid I wouldn't see it through. I knew that if I failed it wouldn't be for lack of trying but, still, failure always hurts.


Anyway, the day came and I and we did it!! Along with my training partner, Meredith, I ran alongside my amazing sister-in-law Denise - who agreed to run with me as a way to prove to herself that she could do it, and to commemorate a milestone birthday she is on the cusp of celebrating. It meant so much to cross the finish line with her and she patiently remained by my side when I needed a short walking break to catch my wind. Sharing the experience with my family made the day all the more special. me and Denise...

I was so thankful to finally finish the race, and as I was on the last leg of the run (and my last legs), I heard some familiar voices cheering my name. I got such a boost when I looked over and saw one of my best friends, Janet, and two of her children. It was so sweet to see her baby boy grinning with all his might, and waving at them was the distraction I needed!

The day was perfect and after many congratulatory hugs from my friends and family, I truly felt like I had accomplished what I had set out to do. Thanks to my good friend Krissy, for being the race's number one supporter and for encouraging me along this journey, and I am so proud of my family and friends who also participated in the run! The handyman on the home stretch of the half marathon!!
Denise, Aidan, and Alistair. Aidan finished 26th out of 190 in the student challenge!!
After a turkey dinner (which, apparently, last year I had vowed not to do!), my husband and I went for a drive. He held me hostage in the vehicle while he listened to "classic country" and said it was the perfect ending to a great Father's Day! As I suffered through a seemingly endless parade of bad country songs (one was "Burgers, fries and cherry pie" by Charley Pride) and glanced over at his happy grin, the title of this post sprang to mind. After his half-marathon and my painful run, we really are walkin' funny!!
 
coompax-digital magazine