Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I am Canadian...Happy Canada Day!!

Although I began my life far across the ocean in Northern Ireland - and I am Irish, first and foremost - I definitely identify as a proud Canadian. I love that my country is a wide expanse of terrain that changes dramatically as you travel from east to west. Rich culture, diverse cities, prairies, staggering mountains, two oceans, the Niagara Falls, and the northern territories...a trip across the country is one I plan to take someday, and I look forward to acquainting myself with the beauty and wonder of this country I call home.

It may seem smug, but I think we can lay claim to some of the most talented singers (Celine Dion, Shania Twain, Bryan Adams, Nickelback, etc.), comedians (John Candy, Dan Aykroyd, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers) and designers (Debbie Travis, Candace Olsen, Sarah Richardson, Karim Rashid, Patricia Gray and more!) in the world. Like I said, I am proud to be Canadian, and when I sing our national anthem, I feel such a rush of that pride.


Canada Day, for us, always means fireworks, a parade, a few tattoos, outdoor games and a barbecue with all of the trimmings (thanks to well-organized and generous friends!). While the boys have outgrown their tolerance for donning a matching red, Canada Day t-shirt, Sophie is still game and wears the maple leaf with pride!
To my fellow Canadians - and as those of you south of the border head into your own Fourth of July celebrations - celebrate and enjoy what your country means to you. Fire up your barbecue and submit to a (temporary) patriotic tattoo or two. Fly those flags high and take a moment to reflect on what your country means to you.

Happy Canada Day, one and all!!
 
coompax-digital magazine