Sunday, July 5, 2009

International Flair, from me to you!

Coming off two international events, Canada Day and the Fourth of July, I thought it only fitting to pay tribute to some of the countries of my other readers. Now, I am the first to admit I don't know many dates of other countries birthdays, at least without thinking really hard - which I'm not always up for - but I did give it a thought this morning as I ate beans and toast (beans on toast), which is a popular meal from my mother country (Ireland). While I ate it, I thought of where I came from and what traditions and traits still remain with me, all these years later. It also got me to thinking about chip sandwiches, which my mother resorted to feeding us when she was low on groceries or just wanted to fill us with a quick, tasty supper. Now, chips in my house growing up weren't the same thing as chips in North American homes today. Chips were french fries, deep fried in a chip pan, which was really just a deep pot filled with fat that was heated and reheated again and again. Sounds a bit unappetizing, but let me assure you: when Mum served up a plate filled with crispy, salted french fries and some soft white bread, it didn't take us long to make a happy marriage of the chips, bread and a squirt or two of ketchup by wrapping them all up temptingly together. Yumm!! Crispy, salty, sweet...don't judge it till you try it. Unfortunately, I haven't had one since I was a child (we don't own a deep fryer or chip pan) but I keep threatening to break down and treat myself to a little taste of my childhood someday. For those hailing from England, a chip sandwich is more commonly called a chip butty.
In a nod to my German readers (and there are a few) I will soon be attending the wedding of my brother to his lovely German bride. She will be wearing a dirndl, and she has promised there will be hearty German fare served up hot and plentiful at the reception. And I will do my bit to partake in this most international of culinary feasts.

I draw the line at swigging German beer, though...

To my Aussie friends, all I can think of is how much I love your lovely accent, and how much more attractive your men seem because of it! Australia is somewhere I have never been, but if I ever win that lottery I talked about a few posts ago, I just might head down and see you!

I realized today that my outfit was quite patriotic to my American friends:

Red, white and blue, the white being my legs, of course...

Aren't my shoes cute? $5...what a steal!
************************************************
Watch for my big announcement by mid-week!
I cannot wait to share it with you!!
 
coompax-digital magazine