Monday, August 3, 2009

Artiste Extraordinaire...

I am no artist. The extent of my art collection is paintings and drawings by my kids that I stick to my fridge, or frame in a Walmart frame and beam with pride as I pass. Still, I'd have to be a complete ding dong not to know when good art is before me - especially great art like that of Lara Harris. I discovered Lara awhile back and marvelled as I pored over her amazing portfolio, on display at her website and blog. In fact, the minute I saw the incredibly life-like paintings of various people's pets, I knew her art would make the perfect gift for Matthew and Jenny Mead when they came to visit. Graciously, Lara pulled a high-speed miracle out of her hat by painting the Mead's sweet pup, Oscar, in record time and it landed in my happy hands just days before they arrived.

I knew I had hit the gift-giving jackpot when they tore off the wrapping and saw their beloved pet before them against a backdrop very familiar to them - in fact, Lara painted the image from a photo I had sent to her that I lifted from their site. Tell me, is this not the perfect duplicate of their little Oscar?
If you desire a painting done by a true professional (on so many levels) then head on over to Lara's studio and see for yourself what unbelievable talent she possesses. In fact, Lara has sweetly offered to paint something of mine (inanimate..any suggestions?!) and I am on the hunt to find the perfect image. Again, any and all suggestions are welcome!

According to Lara's profile, she is a naturally gifted artist who has only been painting at a professional level for three years!! Check it out:

"I am a primarily self-taught artist from Michigan. After teaching 3rd grade for 6 years, I married an Aussie and moved to live first in Cairns and then Sydney for over a year. It was at this time that I was able to start pursuing my art full-time. I actually never thought I could paint, but 3 years ago picked up a brush and have been painting ever since! I paint mainly in oils, but have done some work in colored pencil, pen & ink, and pastel. My favorite subjects include dogs, wildlife, people, and objects from everyday life. Although I do believe some of my ability comes from my mother who is also an artist, I believe it is a true gift from God. My work is in private collections throughout the United States, Canada,the UK, Australia, and New Zealand. To view more of my work visit: http://www.studiolara.com." - Lara Harris
 
coompax-digital magazine