Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Non-Traditional Portraits...

I love taking photos, especially of my kids. Who doesn't? But, the photos I enjoy best are those taken of spontaneous moments, in casual settings, and I am less likely to stage the kids for a posed photo, unless it is a special holiday or event.
My sister sent me some photos of our children from several years past, taken at one of my previous homes, and it was a nice walk down memory lane. Here are a few, and yes, my house was yellow (as every one has been!) and was a Colonial style, for those interested in such details:

My niece, Ella, and my little Sophie (camping as toddlers). Aren't they adorable?

But this?

This "portrait" has become a new summer family tradition because it best represents the dry wit of my boys, actually of all of us. It was taken on our summer camping trip to Maine in July, and shows Sophie, mouth slack with sleep, and her brothers mocking her, just like last year. This photo was unplanned, but you can be sure I will be primed and ready to take a similar photo next year. I figure, as long as she still falls asleep in the car, this tradition will remain!!

Last year's version:

 
coompax-digital magazine