Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Look Alike, and Like to Look Back...

When my mum visited a few weeks ago, I took her to our favourite anique shop. We always approach the shop a bit differently. She examines the furniture (which I quickly admire but know I cannot afford) and I spend altogether too much time exploring what I call "the smalls". We bond, however, as we browze through the old photos and postcards, exclaiming at a sweet sentiment or a peculiar or funny face. This time, I came across the following photo which made me exclaim aloud. I knew I had to share it with you.
Now let's play a game: Which well known television personality does this person resemble?
(I'll give you my opinion at the end of this post!)
I also wanted to share with you this photo and a story of my maternal grandmother, who died of colon cancer in her early thirties.
My mum was only three when she passed, a fact that bothered me greatly as a child...frightening me, I suppose. As an adult, and mother myself, it saddens me deeply for them both. I remember asking my mother (who has only the most basic memories of her mother) if she felt like a part of her was missing as she grew. Ever logical, she replied that she didn't really know what she was missing and her family showed her love and security so she was quite content. Adoring my mother as much as I do, I always marvelled at her strength - for losing her was my greatest fear - and I have always wondered how she would be different if she had had her mother in her life.
Leaving my mother, her son, and my grandfather, John, to grieve her, must have broken her heart. I so wish I had been able to meet my grandmother and recognize the similarities between my mother and her, for I know they must exist.
As I went through some family photos the other day, I came across a copy of her photo and the message she had inscribed (to her future husband, my grandfather) on the back. It made me cry, as it was almost a fore-shadowing of the sentiment she would surely pass on to her husband, after her death... if she could.
It reads: Though always now we are apart; you I cannot see.
Yet if I am worthy of a thought, will you remember me?
When you're sitting all alone, thinking of the past,
Remember that you have a friend, whose love will always last.
***************************************
Now, I am not sure if she wrote this poem herself or not. It sounds really familar, but maybe because I have read it before. If anyone knows differently, I'd love to know. If it is indeed her poem, I had better try my hand at writing some poetry, too. Because my mother is not know for her lengthy prose, perhaps I get it from my grandmother!!
One last photo to share:
My mother and grandmother.
 I think I get my unruly hair from my mum!
Isn't she lovely?
****************************************
Now, what's your guess? My final hint as to who I see is this: washboard abs and he knows how to wield a hammer!
Do you see it?
Ty Pennington, perhaps?!!!
 
coompax-digital magazine